I've been looking into my problems with forwarding messages some more, and I believe I've found two separate bugs in Gnus. If you're not convinced, could you let me know what else you'd like to me to look into? I'm including my original message below. This time I edited and resent it as an 8bit encoded message. If this works the same sending to the Gnus mailing list as it did to myself, the attached message will look fine. Bug 1: If I press C-d on this message and view the attachment, the special characters "=" and "ê" show up as their quoted-printable equivalents, even though the attachment looks fine as I compose the message, and the entire message looks correct. A variation on this would be why my original forwarded message looked wrong in the complete view, but OK given Kai's suggestion to use C-d. Bug 2: When viewing a quoted-printable encoded message, forward it with S o m. The message in the buffer includes a header line Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable but the actual data in the message has been decoded. When Gnus, Lotus Notes, mutt and probably other mailers (though not the mailing list archives) receive the message, they decode it for quoted-printable again, resulting in the error I had. If I manually edit the message in the *mail* buffer and change the = to =3D and the ê to =EA, the message is encoded and received properly.