* Foreign, primary, secondary, activate levels, prefix args, ...
@ 1999-09-21 20:17 Greg Stark
From: Greg Stark @ 1999-09-21 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm tearing my hair out here. I can't seem to get gnus to not activate one of
the servers serving groups in my group list. Nor can I get it to not activate
the primary server, even when none of the groups on it are at the current
activation level.

It's high time we threw out the primary/secondary/foreign distinctions and
just had a single list of servers, all customizable from the server buffer.
It's always been frustrating and confusing.

In this case I've set gnus-activate-level and gnus-activate-foreign-newsgroups
both to 2, but the only groups that match that are at level 2. I'm not sure if
they qualify for foreign or secondary status, but some of them are activated
and some aren't activated. And the primary server is activated, and another
random secondary server is activated for no reason.

--
greg

* Re: Foreign, primary, secondary, activate levels, prefix args, ...
@ 1999-09-25  9:45 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-09-25  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:

> I'm tearing my hair out here. I can't seem to get gnus to not activate one of
> the servers serving groups in my group list. Nor can I get it to not activate
> the primary server, even when none of the groups on it are at the current
> activation level.

Perhaps `M-x gnus-no-server' will help?

* Re: Foreign, primary, secondary, activate levels, prefix args, ...
@ 1999-09-25 17:08   ` Greg Stark
From: Greg Stark @ 1999-09-25 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
>
> > I'm tearing my hair out here. I can't seem to get gnus to not activate one of
> > the servers serving groups in my group list. Nor can I get it to not activate
> > the primary server, even when none of the groups on it are at the current
> > activation level.
>
> Perhaps `M-x gnus-no-server' will help?

Yes, that's how I've been starting gnus all the time now. But then it doesn't
check for new newsgroups in my mail newsgroups. And I can't even find any
command to trigger it to do so (find-new-news activates my primary server even
though it's not on the list). And it just seems weird to me that there's no
way to configure it so M-x gnus dtrt.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-09-27 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:

> Yes, that's how I've been starting gnus all the time now. But then
> it doesn't check for new newsgroups in my mail newsgroups. And I
> can't even find any command to trigger it to do so (find-new-news
> activates my primary server even though it's not on the list). And
> it just seems weird to me that there's no way to configure it so M-x
> gnus dtrt.

Hm.  Perhaps you need to fiddle with both
gnus-activate-foreign-newsgroups and gnus-activate-level?

* Re: Foreign, primary, secondary, activate levels, prefix args, ...
@ 1999-10-01 19:34 ` Carl R. Witty
From: Carl R. Witty @ 1999-10-01 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:

> It's high time we threw out the primary/secondary/foreign distinctions and
> just had a single list of servers, all customizable from the server buffer.
> It's always been frustrating and confusing.

Seconded!  How hard would it be to make this change to Gnus?

Carl Witty

* Re: Foreign, primary, secondary, activate levels, prefix args, ...
@ 1999-10-02 19:26   ` Greg Stark
From: Greg Stark @ 1999-10-02 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Carl,

Unfortunately I knew when I said it that this was a bit of a pipe dream. It
would involve reworking quite a bit of Gnus. So the answer to your question is
"fairly hard". Still that hasn't stopped Lars or Gnus in the past. And this
would actually simplify a whole lot of the code, all groups could be treated
the same without all the conversions and special cases to convert to fully
qualified groups.

--
greg