From: Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>
Subject: Re: pgnus commandeers emacs to check mail
Date: 21 Jul 1999 16:32:22 -0400	[thread overview]

Kai Großjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> writes:

> Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:
>
> > Is there a way to make mail/news checking a completely unobtrusive
> > thing?
>
> Hm.  Since Emacs is not multithreaded (yet), you must delegate the

No, I described how to do an asynchronous interface between Gnus and the
backends back during September Gnus, I made another push for it during Red
Gnus too. I don't remember if I repeated it again for Quassia or if I had
given up by then.

It is absolutely possible to impelement an asynchronous interface for Gnus and
it would be the single most effective usability improvement that coudl be made
to Gnus. (imho of course).

If you don't believe this is possible search the mail archives for my
explanation; I don't have time to type up the explanation again. If you're
still not convinced trust me, I have an asynchronous backend here right now! I
regularly use emacs while it's downloading headers from that backend.

Unfortunately because the interface to Gnus is inherently synchronous I'm
stuck using a kludge with recursive-edit's which doesn't scale to multiple
backends.

If we had a real asynchronous interface between Gnus and the backends, as I
described back in September Gnus then lots of backends could do what my
abckend does here and all coexist in the same emacs.

greg