* x-splash in FSF Emacs
@ 1999-05-19 18:38 Greg Stark
From: Greg Stark @ 1999-05-19 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=NIL, Size: 544 bytes --]

The etc tarball has a readme that says this:

> This package contains icons that are displayed by Gnus when running
> under XEmacs.

If that's the case x-splash really ought to be in the standard etc directory
in the gnus/pgnus tarballs as well. Most Emacs users never bother to install
the etc tarball precisely because it's mostly only useful under XEmacs.

For example, Emacs itself hasn't ever put the gnus etc tarball into its etc
directory. If they exclude it again when they integrate 5.6 they'll never see
the pretty gnu. :(

greg

* Re: x-splash in FSF Emacs
@ 1999-05-19 18:46 ` paul stevenson
From: paul stevenson @ 1999-05-19 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:

> [etc stuff]
>
> For example, Emacs itself hasn't ever put the gnus etc tarball into its etc
> directory. If they exclude it again when they integrate 5.6 they'll never see
> the pretty gnu. :(

But FSF emacs doesn't support displaying graphic file formats in the
buffer, so even if the file were included, they wouldn't be able to see
it.

A good ascii artist may be able to come up with a better ascii
representation of the curvy gnu. though...

* Re: x-splash in FSF Emacs
@ 1999-05-20  9:30   ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-05-20  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

paul stevenson <spaul@mail.phy.ornl.gov> writes:

  > But FSF emacs doesn't support displaying graphic file formats in the
  > buffer, so even if the file were included, they wouldn't be able to see
  > it.

See the function set-face-stipple.  Install etc-*.tar.gz under Emacs
and start Gnus and see what happens.  *Very* nifty!

kai
--
Abort this operation?   [Abort]  [Cancel]

* Re: x-splash in FSF Emacs
@ 1999-05-20 17:23     ` paul stevenson
From: paul stevenson @ 1999-05-20 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:

> See the function set-face-stipple.

Hey, cool. I didn't know about that.

>  Install etc-*.tar.gz under Emacs
> and start Gnus and see what happens.  *Very* nifty!

Hmm, pgnus-0.84 seems to want (from gnus-ems.el:)

(defun gnus-x-splash ()
  "Show a splash screen using a pixmap in the current buffer."
  (let ((dir (nnheader-find-etc-directory "gnus"))
	pixmap file height beg i)

        [...]

		   (file-exists-p (setq file (concat dir "x-splash"))))

This file doesn't seem to be in the xemacs distribution, unless I am
looking the wrong place.

* Re: x-splash in FSF Emacs
@ 1999-05-20 17:43       ` paul stevenson
From: paul stevenson @ 1999-05-20 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

paul stevenson <spaul@mail.phy.ornl.gov> writes:

> 		   (file-exists-p (setq file (concat dir "x-splash"))))
>
> This file doesn't seem to be in the xemacs distribution, unless I am
> looking the wrong place.

I was... I've found it now.

thanks,
Paul

* Re: x-splash in FSF Emacs
@ 1999-05-20 20:58       ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-05-20 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

paul stevenson <spaul@mail.phy.ornl.gov> writes:

  > This file doesn't seem to be in the xemacs distribution, unless I am
  > looking the wrong place.

The original question was for FSF Emacs, no?  Downloading
etc-0.27.tar.gz from ftp.gnus.org worked fine for me.  Unpacking the
tarball gave me a directory etc-0.27, and I just moved all files and
directories from there into the existing Emacs etc directory
($prefix/share/emacs/20.3/etc).

kai
--

@ 1999-05-23 17:38         ` Greg Stark
From: Greg Stark @ 1999-05-23 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=NIL, Size: 661 bytes --]

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:

> paul stevenson <spaul@mail.phy.ornl.gov> writes:
>
>   > This file doesn't seem to be in the xemacs distribution, unless I am
>   > looking the wrong place.
>
> The original question was for FSF Emacs, no?

Yes, the original question was could we please move (or copy) the x-splash
file from the xemacs etc tarball into the standard tarball since it is indeed
used in the standard lisp even on the FSF Emacs. That there is confusion even
on this list only goes to show how very few people using the released versions
would think to install the XEmacs etc tarball if they're not using it under
XEmacs.

greg

* Re: x-splash in FSF Emacs
@ 1999-06-12 23:46           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-06-12 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:

> Yes, the original question was could we please move (or copy) the x-splash
> file from the xemacs etc tarball into the standard tarball since it is indeed
> used in the standard lisp even on the FSF Emacs.

I'm including the x-splash file in the next pgnus tarball.