* GNUS ticks and Gmail flags or stars
@ 2022-07-29 15:59 Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2022-07-29 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

After years away I'm returning to gnus. Gmail setup was quick and easy
thanks to the "EmacsWiki: Gnus Gmail" page, however I have one nagging
issue (so far).

When I 'tick' an article (in gnus terms) with `!' the resulting article
does not get a flag or a star in the gmail interface (or subsequently in
my other mail readers). Is there a way to configure gnus to communicate
my ticks as flags or stars to gmail, or should I try using something
other than ticks for this? It would be great to propagate these to gmail
as I could then use ticks/flags to identify email that requires further
attention across all of my devices and mail readers.

Thanks!
Eric

--
Eric Schulte (he/him)
https://eschulte.github.io

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: GNUS ticks and Gmail flags or stars
@ 2022-07-29 16:22 ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2022-07-29 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: ding

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> When I 'tick' an article (in gnus terms) with `!' the resulting article
> does not get a flag or a star in the gmail interface (or subsequently in
> my other mail readers).

I just tried this and it works as expected for me, with the
understanding that the marks don't necessarily propagate until
you actually exit gnus or exit the group in question (at least
in my setup).

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

- Via GNU/Linux/Emacs/Gnus/BBDB

* Re: GNUS ticks and Gmail flags or stars
@ 2022-07-29 16:32   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2022-07-29 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Newell; +Cc: ding

Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> writes:

> Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> When I 'tick' an article (in gnus terms) with `!' the resulting article
>> does not get a flag or a star in the gmail interface (or subsequently in
>> my other mail readers).
>
> I just tried this and it works as expected for me, with the
> understanding that the marks don't necessarily propagate until
> you actually exit gnus or exit the group in question (at least
> in my setup).

I just ticked your message, and saw it appear starred in Gmail and
flagged in my other mail app.  After briefly wondering what was wrong
with me, I realized that ticks appear to be propagating for "new"
messages (where new means roughly initially received after I started
using GNUS) but somehow don't propagate for older messages.  I think
this is a fine state of affairs, so I'm all set.

Thanks for helping me realize my problem maybe isn't really a problem!

--

@ 2022-07-29 18:10   ` Tom Boyce
From: Tom Boyce @ 2022-07-29 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Works for me as well. Must exit group for Gnus to push tick/star data to
Gmail.

Also pay attention to how conversation threading is handled. In Gnus, I
always tick individual emails. In Gmail conversation list, ticking a
conversation ticks the _last_ email in the list. Not sure if that is
relevant but it may make a difference.

Regards, Tom

* Re: GNUS ticks and Gmail flags or stars
@ 2022-07-30  3:43     ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2022-07-30  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> I just ticked your message, and saw it appear starred in Gmail and
> flagged in my other mail app.  After briefly wondering what was wrong
> with me, I realized that ticks appear to be propagating for "new"
> messages (where new means roughly initially received after I started
> using GNUS) but somehow don't propagate for older messages.  I think
> this is a fine state of affairs, so I'm all set.

As mentioned by others, the communication happens when you exit the
group. It should happen for old articles as well. Unless, of course,
there is a mis-configuration of hooks.