* *Group* inherits default-directory
@ 2022-04-06 22:55 Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2022-04-06 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

I encountered a pretty bad interaction between Gnus and Tramp
(see https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/tramp-devel/2022-04/msg00003.html and ff)
because the `*Group*` buffer inherits `default-directory' from the
buffer from which Gnus is called.

I wonder if you might consider setting `default-directory' to, say,
`gnus-directory' in, say, `gnus-splash' (which creates the `*Group*'
buffer).

Thank you.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.2113
http://childpsy.net http://calmchildstories.com http://steingoldpsychology.com

* Re: *Group* inherits default-directory
@ 2022-04-06 23:05 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-04-06 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sam Steingold wrote:

> I encountered a pretty bad interaction between Gnus and
> Tramp (see
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/tramp-devel/2022-04/msg00003.html
> and ff) because the `*Group*` buffer inherits
> `default-directory' from the buffer from which Gnus
> is called.

Sounds bad, does this only happens with Tramp tho?

It seems so, right?

To me it has always been

  /home/incal/News/

and I can guarantee you I don't muck around with that
directory nearly enough so that Gnus would be called from
there that often ...

And if it is "Tramp only" thing, maybe it makes sense in the
context of Tramp? Dunno, but anyway I'll try to call it from
a Tramp'd buffer myself in an instant to see if I can
replicate it (and I suspect I can) ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: *Group* inherits default-directory
@ 2022-04-06 23:10   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-04-06 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Emanuel Berg wrote:

>> the `*Group*` buffer inherits `default-directory' from the
>> buffer from which Gnus is called.
>
> Sounds bad, does this only happens with Tramp tho?
>
> It seems so, right?
>
> To me it has always been
>
>   /home/incal/News/
>
> and I can guarantee you I don't muck around with that
> directory nearly enough so that Gnus would be called from
> there that often ...
>
> And if it is "Tramp only" thing, maybe it makes sense in the
> context of Tramp? Dunno, but anyway I'll try to call it from
> a Tramp'd buffer myself in an instant to see if I can
> replicate it (and I suspect I can) ...

Actually no, I did

  (gnus-alive-p)

which reported nil, I then did

  (find-file "/-:incal@srv.dataswamp.org:public_html/sth/sth.py")

and it worked, from there I did

  (gnus)

and the *Group* buffer appeared. And `default-directory' is
still /home/incal/News/

--

@ 2022-04-06 23:16 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-04-06 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org> writes:

> I encountered a pretty bad interaction between Gnus and Tramp
> (see
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/tramp-devel/2022-04/msg00003.html
> and ff)
> because the `*Group*` buffer inherits `default-directory' from the
> buffer from which Gnus is called.

This is how most special mode buffers work -- they inherit the
`default-directory' from when they were started.

If you want something else in Gnus, set `gnus-default-directory'.

* Re: *Group* inherits default-directory
@ 2022-04-06 23:20   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-04-06 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

>> I encountered a pretty bad interaction between Gnus and Tramp
>> (see
>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/tramp-devel/2022-04/msg00003.html
>> and ff)
>> because the `*Group*` buffer inherits `default-directory' from the
>> buffer from which Gnus is called.
>
> This is how most special mode buffers work -- they inherit
> the `default-directory' from when they were started.
>
> If you want something else in Gnus, set
> `gnus-default-directory'.

Right, that explains why I couldn't get it to "work" - yeah,
I have that set to "~/News".

But other than that, that's what I said, I said it makes sense
for Trump!

Just not ... for us.

errr

--

@ 2022-04-07  7:10     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2022-04-07  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Emanuel Berg <moasenwood@zoho.eu> writes:

Hi,

>>> I encountered a pretty bad interaction between Gnus and Tramp
>>> (see
>>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/tramp-devel/2022-04/msg00003.html
>>> and ff)
>>> because the `*Group*` buffer inherits `default-directory' from the
>>> buffer from which Gnus is called.
>>
>> This is how most special mode buffers work -- they inherit
>> the `default-directory' from when they were started.
>>
>> If you want something else in Gnus, set
>> `gnus-default-directory'.
>
> Right, that explains why I couldn't get it to "work" - yeah,
> I have that set to "~/News".
>
> But other than that, that's what I said, I said it makes sense
> for Trump!
>
> Just not ... for us.
>
> errr

Tramp cannot change this behavior. It doesn't know anything about
mm-image-load-path it is called from.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: *Group* inherits default-directory
@ 2022-04-07 15:21   ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2022-04-07 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding, Lars Ingebrigtsen

> * Lars Ingebrigtsen <ynefv@tahf.bet> [2022-04-07 01:16:29 +0200]:
>
> Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> I encountered a pretty bad interaction between Gnus and Tramp
>> (see
>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/tramp-devel/2022-04/msg00003.html
>> and ff)
>> because the `*Group*` buffer inherits `default-directory' from the
>> buffer from which Gnus is called.
>
> This is how most special mode buffers work -- they inherit the
> `default-directory' from when they were started.

yeah, and it _is_ a problem for me in this case.

> If you want something else in Gnus, set `gnus-default-directory'.

oops, I have always been setting this - how come it failed to work?!
okay, I will try to debug this...

thanks.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.2113
http://childpsy.net http://calmchildstories.com http://steingoldpsychology.com
https://jij.org https://thereligionofpeace.com https://ffii.org https://ij.org/
When we break the law, they fine us, when we comply, they tax us.

* Re: *Group* inherits default-directory
@ 2022-04-12  2:04       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-04-12  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Michael Albinus wrote:

>>> If you want something else in Gnus, set
>>> `gnus-default-directory'.
>>
>> Right, that explains why I couldn't get it to "work" -
>> yeah, I have that set to "~/News".
>>
>> But other than that, that's what I said, I said it makes
>> sense for Trump! [...]
>
> Tramp cannot change this behavior. It doesn't know anything
> about mm-image-load-path it is called from.

It doesn't change the directory which is the directory Gnus
inherits from unless you have `gnus-default-directory' set?

Maybe it does but not in a way that is specific for Trump,
rather implied as a general Emacs thing?

Because if it doesn't (att all) how did this whole situation
appear to begin with?

But the OP's particular problem is solved so I guess it is of
academic interest by now ...

--

@ 2022-04-12  8:07         ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2022-04-12  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Emanuel Berg <moasenwood@zoho.eu> writes:

Hi,

>>> But other than that, that's what I said, I said it makes
>>> sense for Trump! [...]
>>
>> Tramp cannot change this behavior. It doesn't know anything
>> about mm-image-load-path it is called from.
>
> It doesn't change the directory which is the directory Gnus
> inherits from unless you have `gnus-default-directory' set?

Tramp doesn't change default-directory at all. It is up to the caller to
adapt it accordingly.

> Maybe it does but not in a way that is specific for Trump,
> rather implied as a general Emacs thing?

Please refrain from spoiling Tramp's name this way. It isn't funny, and
I feel harrassed.

Michael.

* Re: *Group* inherits default-directory
@ 2022-04-13  2:46           ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-04-13  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Michael Albinus wrote:

>>> Tramp cannot change this behavior. It doesn't know
>>> anything about mm-image-load-path it is called from.
>>
>> It doesn't change the directory which is the directory Gnus
>> inherits from unless you have `gnus-default-directory' set?
>
> Tramp doesn't change default-directory at all. It is up to
> the caller to adapt it accordingly.

OK, it doesn't.

>> Maybe it does but not in a way that is specific for Trump,
>> rather implied as a general Emacs thing?
>
> Please refrain from spoiling Tramp's name this way. It isn't
> funny, and I feel harrassed.

Haha, okay :) I don't think you shouldn't feel that way tho ...

--

@ 2022-04-13  3:06             ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-04-13  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> Please refrain from spoiling Tramp's name this way.
>> It isn't funny, and I feel harrassed.
>
> Haha, okay :) I don't think you shouldn't feel that way
> tho ...

*I don't think you should feel ...