* how to visit a message by its ID and group name?
@ 2020-07-24  9:00 Uwe Brauer
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2020-07-24  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi

I use the following code since quite a while

Provided by Ted Zlatanov

(defun message-to-diary ()
  (make-diary-entry (concat
                     (format-time-string "%B %d, %Y %H:%M" (gnus-date-get-time (message-fetch-field "date")))
                     (if (message-fetch-field "newsgroups")
                         (concat " Sent news To: " (message-fetch-field "newsgroups"))
                       (concat " Sent mail To: " (message-fetch-field "to")))
                     " Subject: \"" (message-fetch-field "subject") "\""
                     " Group: nnml+archive:sent-mail " ))
  (save-buffer "diary"))

(add-hook 'message-sent-hook 'message-to-diary)

(defun gnus-goto-article (message-id)
(interactive "sMessage-ID: ")
  (let ((info (nnml-find-group-number message-id)))
	(gnus-summary-read-group (concat "nnml:" (car info)) nil t)
	(gnus-summary-goto-article (cdr info) nil t)))

I tried to use gnus-goto-message, but it did not work

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-number-of-arguments #f(compiled-function (id server) #<bytecode 0x16b54c3a03de1fe8>) 1)
  nnml-find-group-number("87sgdhwawy.fsf@mat.ucm.es")
  gnus-goto-article("87sgdhwawy.fsf@mat.ucm.es")
  funcall-interactively(gnus-goto-article "87sgdhwawy.fsf@mat.ucm.es")
  call-interactively(gnus-goto-article record nil)
  command-execute(gnus-goto-article record)
  execute-extended-command(nil "gnus-goto-article" "gnus-go")
  funcall-interactively(execute-extended-command nil "gnus-goto-article" "gnus-go")
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
  command-execute(execute-extended-command)

Does anybody know how to visit a message by its ID and group name?

Regards

Uwe Brauer

* Re: how to visit a message by its ID and group name?
@ 2020-07-24 12:11 ` dick.r.chiang
From: dick.r.chiang @ 2020-07-24 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

nnml-find-group-number takes a second `server` argument, which you
might hardcode to empty string, but like all things gnus, it's
fragile.

Under the info node "Summary Buffer -> Finding the Parent", some
clues are given

> Most of the mail back ends support fetching by ‘Message-ID’, but
> do not do a particularly excellent job at it.  That is,
> ‘nnmbox’, ‘nnbabyl’, ‘nnmaildir’, ‘nnml’, are able to locate
> articles from any groups, while ‘nnfolder’, and ‘nnimap’ are
> only able to locate articles that have been posted to the
> current group.  ‘nnmh’ does not support this at all.

I use nnimap but all my attempts at `M-x
gnus-summary-refer-article` failed.  The info node goes on to say,

> Fortunately, the special ‘nnregistry’ back end is able to locate
> articles in any groups, regardless of their back end (*note
> fetching by ‘Message-ID’ using the registry: Registry Article
> Refer Method.).

This didn't work for me either, but I didn't try very hard.  As the Message-Id
looks like <61f22aad-0e47-438d-b4af-bec4e8191a1b@meta.discourse.org>, it seems
unwieldy to get at a message from its Message-Id.

* Re: how to visit a message by its ID and group name?
@ 2020-07-24 16:08   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2020-07-24 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> "drc" == dick r chiang <dick.r.chiang@gmail.com> writes:

> nnml-find-group-number takes a second `server` argument, which you
> might hardcode to empty string, but like all things gnus, it's
> fragile.

> Under the info node "Summary Buffer -> Finding the Parent", some clues
> are given

>> Most of the mail back ends support fetching by ‘Message-ID’, but do
>> not do a particularly excellent job at it.  That is, ‘nnmbox’,
>> ‘nnbabyl’, ‘nnmaildir’, ‘nnml’, are able to locate articles from any
>> groups, while ‘nnfolder’, and ‘nnimap’ are only able to locate
>> articles that have been posted to the current group.  ‘nnmh’ does
>> not support this at all.

> I use nnimap but all my attempts at `M-x gnus-summary-refer-article`
> failed.  The info node goes on to say,

Well, in my case I want to restrict it, for the moment, to the nnml sent
mail group. So if the group is open then
  (beginning-of-line 1)
  (search-forward "Message-ID")
  (gnus-article-refer-article))

works

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: how to visit a message by its ID and group name?
@ 2020-07-24 17:20   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-07-24 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dick.r.chiang; +Cc: ding

dick.r.chiang@gmail.com writes:

> nnml-find-group-number takes a second `server` argument, which you
> might hardcode to empty string, but like all things gnus, it's
> fragile.

If you follow the code through, it looks to me like the "server"
argument is never even used: it's eventually passed to
`nnml-group-pathname', which doesn't do anything with it. All actual
lookups are done using the value of `nnml-current-group'.

> Under the info node "Summary Buffer -> Finding the Parent", some clues
> are given
>
>> Most of the mail back ends support fetching by ‘Message-ID’, but do
>> not do a particularly excellent job at it.  That is, ‘nnmbox’,
>> ‘nnbabyl’, ‘nnmaildir’, ‘nnml’, are able to locate articles from any
>> groups, while ‘nnfolder’, and ‘nnimap’ are only able to locate
>> articles that have been posted to the current group.  ‘nnmh’ does
>> not support this at all.
>
> I use nnimap but all my attempts at `M-x gnus-summary-refer-article`
> failed.

I'm curious how it failed -- I've never had any trouble doing a
message-id lookup in my (dovecot) imap groups, using either
refer-article or goto-article...

* Re: how to visit a message by its ID and group name?
@ 2020-07-24 22:01 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2020-07-24 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer wrote:

> by its ID and group name

Maybe this is a stupid question but... from where do
you get the ID and group name in the first place?
Local files on your disk or some web archive that
shows it?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: how to visit a message by its ID and group name?
@ 2020-07-25  7:26   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2020-07-25  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> "EB" == Emanuel Berg <moasenwood@zoho.eu> writes:

> Uwe Brauer wrote:
>> by its ID and group name

> Maybe this is a stupid question but... from where do
> you get the ID and group name in the first place?
> Local files on your disk or some web archive that
> shows it?

That is done by the first function I posted, emacs/gnus extracts this
information from the message header

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: how to visit a message by its ID and group name?
@ 2020-07-25 15:57     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2020-07-25 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer wrote:

>> Maybe this is a stupid question but... from where
>> do you get the ID and group name in the first
>> place? Local files on your disk or some web
>> archive that shows it?
>
> That is done by the first function I posted,
> emacs/gnus extracts this information from the
> message header

But then you already have the message?

--

@ 2020-07-26  6:35       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2020-07-26  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> "EB" == Emanuel Berg <moasenwood@zoho.eu> writes:

> Uwe Brauer wrote:
>>> Maybe this is a stupid question but... from where
>>> do you get the ID and group name in the first
>>> place? Local files on your disk or some web
>>> archive that shows it?
>>
>> That is done by the first function I posted,
>> emacs/gnus extracts this information from the
>> message header

> But then you already have the message?

This function is called when I am sending a message and stored in the
diary.
The point is, maybe in 3 weeks I want to read it again, so I visit the
diary and just want to click on its ID. That is the use case

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: how to visit a message by its ID and group name?
@ 2020-07-26 15:17         ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2020-07-26 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

[...]
> This function is called when I am sending a message and stored in the
> diary.
> The point is, maybe in 3 weeks I want to read it again, so I visit the
> diary and just want to click on its ID. That is the use case

For Org, there is ol-gnus.el:
<https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode/src/master/lisp/ol-gnus.el>

You can call `org-store-link' in `gnus-summary-mode' or
`gnus-article-mode', and it will save a link to the current article.
You can the insert that link into an Org buffer using
`org-insert-last-stored-link'.

So, if you'd like to store links to Gnus messages in Org files, you can
use ol-gnus.el out of the box, and only add bindings for the store and
insert functions for convenience.  If you'd like to make links in
non-Org files, you may find it useful to look through ol-gnus.el as a
starting point.

Hope this helps.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: how to visit a message by its ID and group name?
@ 2020-07-26 15:39 ` Christian Barthel
From: Christian Barthel @ 2020-07-26 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Does anybody know how to visit a message by its ID and group
> name?

The org-mode package contains an elisp function to do so:

  (org-gnus-follow-link GROUP MESSAGEID)

--
Christian Barthel <bch@online.de>

* two questions on archive (was: Re: how to visit a message by its ID and group name?)
@ 2020-07-26 15:45         ` Emanuel Berg
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2020-07-26 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer wrote:

> This function is called when I am sending a message
> and stored in the diary. The point is, maybe in 3
> weeks I want to read it again, so I visit the diary
> and just want to click on its ID. That is the use
> case

OK..

What I do is:

  (setq gnus-gcc-mark-as-read t)
  (setq gnus-message-archive-group "nnml:mail.sent") ;; [1]

I don't remember what the first option does tho, the
`gnus-gcc-mark-as-read' docstring says "If non-nil,
automatically mark Gcc articles as read." - hm...?

Anyway that way mails end up in mail.sent and you get
to use the familiar interface. As for gmane groups,
I consider them self-documenting.

Only the behavior of Usenet groups puzzles me
(i.e., NNTP from nntp.aioe.org) - if I post to e.g.
alt.tv.survivor my messages also appear in
mail.survivor.sent ?

[1] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/gnus/mail.el

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: two questions on archive (was: Re: how to visit a message by its ID and group name?)
@ 2020-07-26 16:03           ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2020-07-26 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Only the behavior of Usenet groups puzzles me
> (i.e., NNTP from nntp.aioe.org) - if I post to e.g.
> alt.tv.survivor my messages also appear in
> mail.survivor.sent ?

Even weirder, I just posted to another Usenet group,
namely alt.usage.english, but no
alt.usage.english.sent group appeared... ? :O

--

@ 2020-07-26 19:12           ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2020-07-26 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> "AB" == Amin Bandali <bandali@gnu.org> writes:

> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
> [...]
>>
>> This function is called when I am sending a message and stored in the
>> diary.
>> The point is, maybe in 3 weeks I want to read it again, so I visit the
>> diary and just want to click on its ID. That is the use case

> For Org, there is ol-gnus.el:
> <https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode/src/master/lisp/ol-gnus.el>

> You can call `org-store-link' in `gnus-summary-mode' or
> `gnus-article-mode', and it will save a link to the current article.
> You can the insert that link into an Org buffer using
> `org-insert-last-stored-link'.

> So, if you'd like to store links to Gnus messages in Org files, you can
> use ol-gnus.el out of the box, and only add bindings for the store and
> insert functions for convenience.  If you'd like to make links in
> non-Org files, you may find it useful to look through ol-gnus.el as a
> starting point.

> Hope this helps.

That sound indeed interesting, I would then modify my diary function
accordingly.

Thanks!

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* [(message-news-p)???] (was: two questions on archive)
@ 2020-07-27  8:32           ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2020-07-27  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> "EB" == Emanuel Berg <moasenwood@zoho.eu> writes:

> Uwe Brauer wrote:
>> This function is called when I am sending a message
>> and stored in the diary. The point is, maybe in 3
>> weeks I want to read it again, so I visit the diary
>> and just want to click on its ID. That is the use
>> case

> OK..

> What I do is:

>   (setq gnus-gcc-mark-as-read t)
>   (setq gnus-message-archive-group "nnml:mail.sent") ;; [1]
I have as recommended
(setq gnus-message-archive-group
	'((if (message-news-p)
	      "misc-news"
	    "misc-mail")))

However now that I think of, what the heck is
(message-news-p)
I can't find anything in the documentation, it seems not a variable and
not a function, what is a bit odd

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: [(message-news-p)???]
@ 2020-07-27  8:43             ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2020-07-27  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe writes:

> However now that I think of, what the heck is
> (message-news-p)
> I can't find anything in the documentation, it seems not a variable and
> not a function, what is a bit odd

It is defined in gnus/message.el:

,----[ C-h f message-news-p RET ]
| message-news-p is a compiled Lisp function in ‘message.el’.
|
| (message-news-p)
|
| Say whether the current buffer contains a news message.
`----

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Don’t be so open-minded that your brains fall             Adam Sjøgren
  out."                                                asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: [(message-news-p)???]
@ 2020-07-27 10:14               ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2020-07-27 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> "AS" == Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:

> Uwe writes:
>> However now that I think of, what the heck is
>> (message-news-p)
>> I can't find anything in the documentation, it seems not a variable and
>> not a function, what is a bit odd

> It is defined in gnus/message.el:

> ,----[ C-h f message-news-p RET ]
> | message-news-p is a compiled Lisp function in ‘message.el’.
> |
> | (message-news-p)
> |
> | Say whether the current buffer contains a news message.
> `----

Thanks. I used the tabulator, as I always do, to complete the function
name and message-new-p was not completed, but this does not mean, it
does not exist. sigh

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: [(message-news-p)???]
@ 2020-07-28  3:16             ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2020-07-28  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer wrote:

>> What I do is:
>>
>>   (setq gnus-gcc-mark-as-read t)
>>   (setq gnus-message-archive-group
>>   "nnml:mail.sent") ;; [1]
>
> I have as recommended
> (setq gnus-message-archive-group
> 	'((if (message-news-p)
> 	      "misc-news"
> 	    "misc-mail")))

Well, there are too many groups anyway to make that
subdivision really useful IMO. Better to have the
speed and convenience of having everything in one
place rather than that very rudimentary sort.

I love sorting stuff tho, that's why I can say it.
Tools should have one and only one place, and with
information, one cannot sort too much.

But one can sort to little, and that is an example of
that. Might as well not do it.

--

@ 2020-08-03 20:48           ` David Rogers
From: David Rogers @ 2020-08-03 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Emanuel Berg <moasenwood@zoho.eu> writes:

> Uwe Brauer wrote:
>
> OK..
>
> What I do is:
>
>   (setq gnus-gcc-mark-as-read t)
>   (setq gnus-message-archive-group "nnml:mail.sent") ;; [1]
>
> I don't remember what the first option does tho, the
> `gnus-gcc-mark-as-read' docstring says "If non-nil,
> automatically mark Gcc articles as read." - hm...?

I believe the first option merely prevents your Gcc'd messages
from being displayed as new and unread. I think you'd want it set
to t, unless you needed a visual reminder of how many messages
you'd sent recently.

--
David

* Re: two questions on archive
@ 2020-08-03 20:56             ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2020-08-03 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

David Rogers wrote:

>> What I do is:
>> (setq gnus-gcc-mark-as-read t) (setq
>> gnus-message-archive-group "nnml:mail.sent") ;; [1]
>> I don't remember what the first option does tho,
>> the `gnus-gcc-mark-as-read' docstring says "If
>> non-nil, automatically mark Gcc articles as read."
>> - hm...?
>
> I believe the first option merely prevents your
> Gcc'd messages from being displayed as new and
> unread. I think you'd want it set to t, unless you
> needed a visual reminder of how many messages you'd
> sent recently.

Ah, that makes sense, thank you!