From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Recent nnir update broke search on office365
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 21:01:41 +0800	[thread overview]

> On Sunday,  1 Feb 2015 at 14:22, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>> david.goldberg6@verizon.net (Dave Goldberg) writes:
>>
>>> All searches come up empty since this commit (per git-bisect)
>
> This happens to me as well in latest gnus (as of yesterday, that
> is).  I've backed up to a version that works for now.
>
> [...]
>
>> I guess what would be most helpful is if you could tell me your value
>> for default-process-coding-system, and then do a telnet session with
>> your exchange server. I'm not sure about exchange but, assuming you're
>> connecting with ssl, here's what I do with gmail:
>
> To give you a data point, I have followed your instructions for the IMAP
> server I use which is outlook.office365.com (Microsoft :().  The only
> charset that works is US-ASCII.  This is rather annoying, to say the
> least.
>
> My default-process-coding-system is utf-8-unix.

Oh man. That is helpful, though obviously also very depressing. I can't
believe they wouldn't let you input non-ascii search strings, though,
there must be some way around that...

More research! Probably this feature is currently too uncertain to leave
in trunk, it's going to mess with people's imap usage.