* HTML rendering and colors
@ 2013-12-01 17:44 Vincent Bernat
From: Vincent Bernat @ 2013-12-01 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi!

It is not uncommon for me to receive mails difficult to read in HTML. I
often get gray on gray texts. I am using shr as a renderer. It seems
that there is some code in shr (I am using Emacs 24.3 and Gnus from git)
that try to be clever on color pairs but either it does not work as
expected or it is not enabled for me. How to troubleshoot this?

BTW, Apple Mail client has the good idea to not indent at all the
text/plain part for quotes (and of course, no quote symbol either). Is
there a workaround for this without using the HTML part?
--
Use free-form input when possible.

* Re: HTML rendering and colors
@ 2013-12-26 16:21 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2013-12-26 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Bernat; +Cc: ding

Vincent Bernat <bernat@luffy.cx> writes:

> It is not uncommon for me to receive mails difficult to read in HTML. I
> often get gray on gray texts. I am using shr as a renderer. It seems
> that there is some code in shr (I am using Emacs 24.3 and Gnus from git)
> that try to be clever on color pairs but either it does not work as
> expected or it is not enabled for me. How to troubleshoot this?

I haven't seen any instances where shr has chosen colours that can't be
read.  Do you have an example message?

> BTW, Apple Mail client has the good idea to not indent at all the
> text/plain part for quotes (and of course, no quote symbol either). Is
> there a workaround for this without using the HTML part?

I'm not sure I understand.  How does is distinguish between quoted text
and not quoted text?

* Re: HTML rendering and colors
@ 2013-12-27  8:03   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2013-12-27  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Vincent Bernat, ding

>> It is not uncommon for me to receive mails difficult to read in
>> HTML. I often get gray on gray texts. I am using shr as a
>> renderer. It seems that there is some code in shr (I am using Emacs
>> 24.3 and Gnus from git) that try to be clever on color pairs but
>> either it does not work as expected or it is not enabled for me. How
>> to troubleshoot this?
>
> I haven't seen any instances where shr has chosen colours that can't
> be read.  Do you have an example message?

I had the same problem with about any HTML mail.  The background was
grey and the text was maybe a bit darker or lighter grey.  Possibly
that's caused by using a light-on-dark emacs theme.  I'm using tsdh-dark
which comes with emacs.

Anyway, I could improve the situation with

  (setq shr-color-visible-distance-min 10
        shr-color-visible-luminance-min 60)

but it seems those variables have gone in the meantime.  But still HTML
mails are readable, so it seems the problem has been fixed.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: HTML rendering and colors
@ 2013-12-27  8:20     ` Vincent Bernat
From: Vincent Bernat @ 2013-12-27  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: ding

 ❦ 27 décembre 2013 09:03 CET, Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> :

>>> It is not uncommon for me to receive mails difficult to read in
>>> HTML. I often get gray on gray texts. I am using shr as a
>>> renderer. It seems that there is some code in shr (I am using Emacs
>>> 24.3 and Gnus from git) that try to be clever on color pairs but
>>> either it does not work as expected or it is not enabled for me. How
>>> to troubleshoot this?
>>
>> I haven't seen any instances where shr has chosen colours that can't
>> be read.  Do you have an example message?
>
> I had the same problem with about any HTML mail.  The background was
> grey and the text was maybe a bit darker or lighter grey.  Possibly
> that's caused by using a light-on-dark emacs theme.  I'm using tsdh-dark
> which comes with emacs.

I am also using a light-on-dark theme (naquadah).

> Anyway, I could improve the situation with
>
>   (setq shr-color-visible-distance-min 10
>         shr-color-visible-luminance-min 60)

Those variables also helps in my case!
--
panic("IRQ, you lose...");
	2.2.16 /usr/src/linux/arch/mips/sgi/kernel/indy_int.c

From: Vincent Bernat @ 2013-12-27  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: ding

 ❦ 26 décembre 2013 17:21 CET, Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> :

>> It is not uncommon for me to receive mails difficult to read in HTML. I
>> often get gray on gray texts. I am using shr as a renderer. It seems
>> that there is some code in shr (I am using Emacs 24.3 and Gnus from git)
>> that try to be clever on color pairs but either it does not work as
>> expected or it is not enabled for me. How to troubleshoot this?
>
> I haven't seen any instances where shr has chosen colours that can't be
> read.  Do you have an example message?

I will forward an example shortly.
--
printk(KERN_WARNING "Multi-volume CD somehow got mounted.\n");
	2.2.16 /usr/src/linux/fs/isofs/inode.c