* gnus-notifications popup style
@ 2012-11-21 13:41 Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2012-11-21 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I recently discovered (and tried successfully)
gnus-notifications. However the popups it uses are big (and ugly)
standard gtk windows and not the nice OSD ones used by other
notifications (volume/wifi/battery). I was under the impression that it
would use the standard notification method, as gnus-desktop-notify
(another gnus notification tool) does.

I'm running Ubuntu, with the unity user-interface

Julien.

* Re: gnus-notifications popup style
@ 2012-11-21 15:10 ` Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2012-11-21 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Cubizolles; +Cc: ding

On Wed, Nov 21 2012, Julien Cubizolles wrote:

> I recently discovered (and tried successfully)
> gnus-notifications. However the popups it uses are big (and ugly)
> standard gtk windows and not the nice OSD ones used by other
> notifications (volume/wifi/battery). I was under the impression that it
> would use the standard notification method, as gnus-desktop-notify
> (another gnus notification tool) does.

gnus-notifications relies on Freedesktop notifications API:

   http://developer.gnome.org/notification-spec/

I don't know about gnus-desktop-notify. It seems it uses the
`notify-send' program, which should do the same.

--
Julien Danjou
/* Free Software hacker & freelance

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: gnus-notifications popup style
@ 2012-11-21 16:19   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-11-21 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Cubizolles; +Cc: ding

Julien Danjou <julien@danjou.info> writes:

>> I recently discovered (and tried successfully)
>> gnus-notifications. However the popups it uses are big (and ugly)
>> standard gtk windows and not the nice OSD ones used by other
>> notifications (volume/wifi/battery). I was under the impression that
>> it would use the standard notification method, as gnus-desktop-notify
>> (another gnus notification tool) does.
>
> gnus-notifications relies on Freedesktop notifications API:
>
>    http://developer.gnome.org/notification-spec/
>
> I don't know about gnus-desktop-notify. It seems it uses the
> `notify-send' program, which should do the same.

FWIW, I get the nice GNOME3 notifications.  I think, I used to start it
as --daemon from some GNOME autostart file, and then the notifications
were just plain grey GTK boxes.  When I start emacs "normally" from the
dock or a gnome terminal, it works just fine.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: gnus-notifications popup style
@ 2012-11-21 17:24   ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2012-11-21 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Julien Danjou <julien@danjou.info> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 21 2012, Julien Cubizolles wrote:
>
>> I recently discovered (and tried successfully)
>> gnus-notifications. However the popups it uses are big (and ugly)
>> standard gtk windows and not the nice OSD ones used by other
>> notifications (volume/wifi/battery). I was under the impression that it
>> would use the standard notification method, as gnus-desktop-notify
>> (another gnus notification tool) does.
>
> gnus-notifications relies on Freedesktop notifications API:
>
>    http://developer.gnome.org/notification-spec/
>
> I don't know about gnus-desktop-notify. It seems it uses the
> `notify-send' program, which should do the same.

It turns out it's the :actions parameter that makes it choose the grey
box method. If I comment the actions line in what follows, I get a nice
OSD. It seems to be a unity/Ubuntu problem then. I'll give it a try with
gnome-shell.

,----
`----

@ 2012-11-21 19:01 ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2012-11-21 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Cubizolles; +Cc: ding

Julien Cubizolles writes:
> I recently discovered (and tried successfully)
> gnus-notifications. However the popups it uses are big (and ugly)
> standard gtk windows and not the nice OSD ones used by other
> notifications (volume/wifi/battery). I was under the impression that it
> would use the standard notification method, as gnus-desktop-notify
> (another gnus notification tool) does.

I think it has to do with

       :actions '("read" "Read")
       :on-action 'gnus-notifications-action

in gnus-notify, which says what to do when you click on the
notification. However, at least Unbuntu's standard notify-osd refuses to
accept clicks, and I think it can "somehow" revert to standard GTK
windows if it should receive them, so that's actually a feature. Maybe
there's some magic gconf setting, or some 'ubuntu tweak 2012 ultimate'
program can solve this for you, but I guess it's hopeless. I simply
dumped notify-osd for something sane (dunst).

Maybe the above actions/on-action stuff should be made
optional/configurable.

-David