* Re: Strang recurring problem
@ 2011-11-17 21:39 Damon Haley
From: Damon Haley @ 2011-11-17 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> FYI, I use topics quite extensively and have different pull levels for them
>> etc and dont get this. Could it be something as silly perhaps as a wrong
>> key chord? Its very easy to transpose groups or tab them in/out.
>
> Would that explain seeing the duplicate entry I've mentioned?

I also see this issue roughly once a week with several of my IMAP groups
coming from hushmail and fastmail.fm.

I'm using gnus 5.13.

I use gnus-topic-remove-group to clean up my topics when the duplicate groups
get added to unassigned Topics.

I'm pretty meticulous using gnus-group-save-newsrc with my Topics, so
I'm pretty sure it's a bug with either Topics or IMAP with gnutls-cli.

I haven't debugged it further as it only happens roughly once a week and it's a
minor annoyance.  Other than that gnus is working great with IMAP.

Damon

* Re: Strang recurring problem
@ 2011-11-18 12:28 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-11-18 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Damon Haley <vinylisl@ssl-mail.com> writes:

Harry wrote:
> > Well, every so often following a gnus start up, the level2 of
> > nnimap groups will have dropped to the bottom and out one step so
> > its right under gnus but at the bottom.  And even on a few
> > occasions it appears in both places with the exact same groups
> > under it.

Damon Responded:

> I also see this issue roughly once a week with several of my IMAP
> groups coming from hushmail and fastmail.fm.
>
> I'm using gnus 5.13.
>
> I use gnus-topic-remove-group to clean up my topics when the
> duplicate groups get added to unassigned Topics.
>
> I'm pretty meticulous using gnus-group-save-newsrc with my Topics, so
> I'm pretty sure it's a bug with either Topics or IMAP with gnutls-cli.
>
> I haven't debugged it further as it only happens roughly once a week
> and it's a minor annoyance.  Other than that gnus is working great
> with IMAP.

Well, at least it isn't the usual situation where I'm the only one in
the world with something goofy happening.

You are right that it isn't a huge problem, but the duplication part
does seem a pretty wild.

* Re: Strang recurring problem
@ 2011-11-15 11:29   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-11-15 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

@ 2011-11-15  7:59 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-11-15  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Running emacs-24 and nognus, both of recent vintage.
>
> In all, it must have happened something like 6-7 times now... and
> probably 4 of those had the double instance I mentioned.
>
> Any ideas folks?

FYI, I use topics quite extensively and have different pull levels for them
etc and dont get this. Could it be something as silly perhaps as a wrong
key chord? Its very easy to transpose groups or tab them in/out.

* Strang recurring problem
@ 2011-11-15  2:44 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-11-15  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Running emacs-24 and nognus, both of recent vintage.

I've been having a strange recurring problem.  I cannot reproduce it
at will but over time it does reproduce itself.

I run in topic mode, and have done for a good while.  In addition to
piles of gmane groups and mail groups.  I also have an nnimap setup
with gmail.  Its put into the topic setup like this.

-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------
  gnus
   [...]
   nntp
     gmane [lots of groups under this]
   nntp-foreign
     opera bleh
     opera bleh2
     [...]
   nnml [many here]
   nnimap
    level1
      bleh:Send Mail
      bleh:All Mail
      bleh:INBOX
      [...] two or three more
    level2
      bleh:one
      bleh:two
      bleh:etc
      [...] 7-8 more
   [nndrafts]
   more-nnml
   [ etc ]

-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------

Probably a little overdone but you get the idea.

Well, every so often following a gnus start up, the level2 of nnimap
groups will have dropped to the bottom and out one step so its right
under gnus but at the bottom.  And even on a few occasions it appears
in both places with the exact same groups under it.

Its been a while since it last happened but it just happened a little
while ago.  This time only one instance but again, out one level and
dropped to the bottom.

When I first noticed it, I assumed I'd neglected so save properly and
so .newsrc.eld held some wrong information.

But I got more careful about saving deliberately every so often with
`s' in group buffer.  And yet a week or so later here it is again.