From: David Engster <deng@randomsample.de>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Dependency problem with auth-source and eieio
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 16:06:24 +0100	[thread overview]

Matt Lundin writes:
> When trying to access the docstring of auth-source-backend with "C-h v
> auth-source-backend", I get the following error:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function cedet-called-interactively-p)
>   cedet-called-interactively-p()
>   eieio-describe-class(auth-source-backend)
>   describe-variable(auth-source-backend)
>   call-interactively(describe-variable nil nil)
>
> It seems that eieio has a missing cedet-compat require here. I raise
> this issue on the Gnus list, because eieio (without cedet) is now being
> included in the Gnus source tree.
>
> Note: I certainly hope we don't have to add a new dependency here, as it
> would be a shame if we had to require cedet to compile/run Gnus. The
> current eieio dependency/hack seems extreme enough as it is. :)

cedet-called-interactively-p is used because Emacs versions <=23.1 don't
allow an argument for called-interactively-p; same goes for XEmacs. The
EIEIO from Emacs proper simply calls called-interactively-p, to which
cedet-called-interactively-p is an alias on Emacs versions >23.1.

Now, since EIEIO is only in Gnus because it should support those older
Emacs versions <=23.1, I'm afraid we have to provide that function. I
skimmed through cedet-compat.el, and I think it's at least currently the
only thing we need for EIEIO. The only other compatibility function that
EIEIO uses is find-coding-systems-region, which XEmacs doesn't
provide. This is only used though to save objects to disk, which we at
least currently do not do. But maybe it should be included, just to be
safe.

-David