* summary window width
@ 2010-09-05 12:19 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2010-09-05 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I have a pair of particularly wide monitors, and generally find that
splitting frames vertically is a good use of space. If the gnus group
buffer is on the left, say, and I enter a group, the resulting summary
buffer munches my whole frame. Is there a simple way to keep that from
happening? If the answer is something to do with a gnus summary mode
hook, I can probably figure that out by myself, but if there's something
more direct, I'd love to set it up so that ALL gnus window operations
take place on the left half of my frame...

Thanks!
Eric

* Re: summary window width
@ 2010-09-05 12:34 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-05 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I have a pair of particularly wide monitors, and generally find that
> splitting frames vertically is a good use of space. If the gnus group
> buffer is on the left, say, and I enter a group, the resulting summary
> buffer munches my whole frame. Is there a simple way to keep that from
> happening?

No, I don't think so, but you can have the group buffer on the left and
the summary buffer on the right, and so on.  See the "Window Layout"
section in the manual.

* Re: summary window width
@ 2010-09-05 13:09   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2010-09-05 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, Sep 05 2010, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

>> I have a pair of particularly wide monitors, and generally find that
>> splitting frames vertically is a good use of space. If the gnus group
>> buffer is on the left, say, and I enter a group, the resulting summary
>> buffer munches my whole frame. Is there a simple way to keep that from
>> happening?
>
> No, I don't think so, but you can have the group buffer on the left and
> the summary buffer on the right, and so on.  See the "Window Layout"
> section in the manual.

No no, that was exactly right! Initial experiments indicate I'll
definitely be able to get it to work the way I want it, I just needed to
be pointed towards the "Window Layout" section. Thanks a lot!