* nnmairix problem after nnmaildir -> nnimap switch
@ 2009-05-04 21:19 Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2009-05-04 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I haven't quite got nnmairix working after switching from nnmaildir to
nnimap. When I start gnus I'm getting

Opening nnmairix server on mairix-server...done
apply: Symbol's function definition is void: nnmaildir-open-server

However, there is no mention of nnmaildir any longer in my gnus config,
so I assume it must be getting an instruction to use nnmaildir from some
persistent gnus data stored within my maildirs: I've tried renaming the
zz_mairix-mairix-1 maildir folder, but the error message persists (and a
new one is created). How should I get nnmairix to forget about nnmaildir?

Thanks,

Dan

* Re: nnmairix problem after nnmaildir -> nnimap switch
@ 2009-05-04 21:35 ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2009-05-04 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:
> However, there is no mention of nnmaildir any longer in my gnus config,
> so I assume it must be getting an instruction to use nnmaildir from some
> persistent gnus data stored within my maildirs: I've tried renaming the
> zz_mairix-mairix-1 maildir folder, but the error message persists (and a
> new one is created). How should I get nnmairix to forget about nnmaildir?

nnmairix is usually used as a foreign server, i.e. its information is
saved in .newsrc.eld between sessions. However, that file is not meant
to be edited by hand.

To get rid of an existing nnmairix server, you just have to delete *all*
existing nnmairix groups and restart Gnus. You can then create a new
nnmairix server for the new nnimap back end.

If your Gnus won't startup anymore because of the error, you can try to
start it with a lower group level by using

C-u 1 M-x gnus RET

If your nnmairix groups have a level >1, they won't be checked at
startup and can then be deleted.

Regards,
David

* Re: nnmairix problem after nnmaildir -> nnimap switch
@ 2009-05-08 16:11   ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2009-05-08 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

> Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:
>> However, there is no mention of nnmaildir any longer in my gnus config,
>> so I assume it must be getting an instruction to use nnmaildir from some
>> persistent gnus data stored within my maildirs: I've tried renaming the
>> zz_mairix-mairix-1 maildir folder, but the error message persists (and a
>> new one is created). How should I get nnmairix to forget about nnmaildir?
>
> nnmairix is usually used as a foreign server, i.e. its information is
> saved in .newsrc.eld between sessions. However, that file is not meant
> to be edited by hand.
>
> To get rid of an existing nnmairix server, you just have to delete *all*
> existing nnmairix groups and restart Gnus.

Thanks David. That worked, and I was making progress, but I've now hit a
similar problem. For reasons I won't attempt to justify I now have two
nnmairix servers configured and I want to get rid of them and make a
clean start. So my server buffer looks like

     {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
     {nnmairix:general} (opened)
     {nnmairix:gen} (opened)
     {nnimap:dc} (opened)

No mairix groups appear in the group buffer as they are empty. What
exactly do I have to do to make these nnmairix servers go away? I can
force mairix groups to appear by subscribing to them with
gnus-server-read-server followed by
gnus-browse-unsubscribe-current-group, and then I can kill them. But the
two nnmairix servers persist after restarting gnus (whether or not I use
gnus-server-close-server to close the servers before restarting gnus).

Embarassingly this is a sub-problem of what I was in the middle of
posting to the list about; I am able to carry out mairix searches with
these servers, but the results are not appearing in any mairix
group. But I want to make a clean start before investigating that.

Dan

@ 2009-05-09 10:26     ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2009-05-09 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:
> David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:
>> To get rid of an existing nnmairix server, you just have to delete *all*
>> existing nnmairix groups and restart Gnus.
>
> Thanks David. That worked, and I was making progress, but I've now hit a
> similar problem. For reasons I won't attempt to justify I now have two
> nnmairix servers configured

Actually, I'm pretty happy that someone is using more than one
server. That feature required quite some coding...

>  and I want to get rid of them and make a clean start. So my server
> buffer looks like
>
>      {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
>      {nnmairix:general} (opened)
>      {nnmairix:gen} (opened)
>      {nnimap:dc} (opened)
>
> No mairix groups appear in the group buffer as they are empty.  What
> exactly do I have to do to make these nnmairix servers go away? I can
> force mairix groups to appear by subscribing to them with
> gnus-server-read-server followed by
> gnus-browse-unsubscribe-current-group, and then I can kill them. But
> the two nnmairix servers persist after restarting gnus (whether or not
> I use gnus-server-close-server to close the servers before restarting
> gnus).

Well, there must still be nnmairix groups lying around. You can see the
name of the groups of the nnmairix server in the minibuffer be
evaluating

(nnmairix-get-groups-from-server "general")

and

(nnmairix-get-groups-from-server "gen")

Remember to hit "L" in the group buffer to see all groups. If you really
don't see those groups, try evaluating

(progn
 (switch-to-buffer gnus-group-buffer)
 (gnus-group-jump-to-group "nnmairix+general:GROUPNAME"))

and it should jump to the group GROUPNAME, so that you can kill it.

Regards,
David