* unmarking in *Dead Summary* forgotten
@ 2008-11-22 16:55 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2008-11-22 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Mark a message as read, quit that group, then go do the
*Dead Summary...* buffer, and unmark it:
You'll find your unmarking was not remembered by gnus.
gnus-version "Gnus v5.11"

* Re: unmarking in *Dead Summary* forgotten
@ 2008-11-24 15:26 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-11-24 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 00:55:12 +0800 jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

j> Mark a message as read, quit that group, then go do the
j> *Dead Summary...* buffer, and unmark it:
j> You'll find your unmarking was not remembered by gnus.
j> gnus-version "Gnus v5.11"

Why would Gnus want to remember what you do in a dead summary buffer?

It seems to me like the right approach is to disable article operations
in this buffer, maybe by disconnecting it from the active backend and
mapping it to a special nnreadonly backend.

Ted

* Re: unmarking in *Dead Summary* forgotten
@ 2008-11-24 18:03   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-11-24 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, Nov 24 2008, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 00:55:12 +0800 jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
>
> j> Mark a message as read, quit that group, then go do the
> j> *Dead Summary...* buffer, and unmark it:
> j> You'll find your unmarking was not remembered by gnus.
> j> gnus-version "Gnus v5.11"
>
> Why would Gnus want to remember what you do in a dead summary buffer?
>
> It seems to me like the right approach is to disable article operations
> in this buffer, maybe by disconnecting it from the active backend and
> mapping it to a special nnreadonly backend.

According to the docs (I never used this feature), it's done by
mapping all keys to `gnus-summary-wake-up-the-dead':

,----[ (info "(gnus)Exiting the Summary Buffer") ]
| If you're in the habit of exiting groups, and then changing your mind
| about it, you might set `gnus-kill-summary-on-exit' to `nil'.  If you
| do that, Gnus won't kill the summary buffer when you exit it.  (Quelle
| surprise!)  Instead it will change the name of the buffer to something
| like `*Dead Summary ... *' and install a minor mode called
| `gnus-dead-summary-mode'.  Now, if you switch back to this buffer,
| you'll find that all keys are mapped to a function called
| `gnus-summary-wake-up-the-dead'.  So tapping any keys in a dead
| summary buffer will result in a live, normal summary buffer.
|
| There will never be more than one dead summary buffer at any one time.
`----

If it's supposed to be a "normal summary buffer", unmarking after
waking up a dead summary buffer should work.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: unmarking in *Dead Summary* forgotten
@ 2008-11-25  3:12     ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2008-11-25  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

RS> If it's supposed to be a "normal summary buffer", unmarking after
RS> waking up a dead summary buffer should work.

Many of the Dead Summary operations work as documented. Except the one
I reported in this thread.

That is extra bad because the user already has learned to trust the
Dead Summary operations, as the others work. Only later, if he is
lucky, does he discover that his unmarking was thrown away.

* Re: unmarking in *Dead Summary* forgotten
@ 2008-11-25 17:25       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-11-25 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 11:12:33 +0800 jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

RS> If it's supposed to be a "normal summary buffer", unmarking after
RS> waking up a dead summary buffer should work.

j> Many of the Dead Summary operations work as documented. Except the one
j> I reported in this thread.

I understand now, I have read the Gnus manual and never noticed this
feature.  I thought you were going to a summary buffer that was not
useful at all.  Sorry.

j> That is extra bad because the user already has learned to trust the
j> Dead Summary operations, as the others work. Only later, if he is
j> lucky, does he discover that his unmarking was thrown away.

Agreed.  But I know nothing about this code or the feature, so I hope
someone else is interested in fixing it.

Ted