I have identified the problem which I mentioned earlier which caused my incoming mail to not be spooled. All was OK until a particular spam message using 8-bit encoding. This mail was spooled but with a lot of 'garbage' at the end, but no messages after it were spooled to the nnml mailboxes. I found 2 of these in the one Incoming file. It is a bit worrying that a spam mail can stop gnus imported any more mail from the same /var/spool/mail/user file. I have tared and gzipped (to stop it breaking anyone else's gnus) the first offending spam.