Hi, there's some discussion in de.comm.software.gnus about an unintuitive behavior of Message. Currently, a "References" header that was inserted on buffer creation and deleted by the user is inserted again when the mail is being sent. There's also an older bug report about this: . Looking at the code, it seems that message-generate-headers already has some provision to avoid repeated insertion. However, the code doesn't cause any effect at the moment, as it only puts /non-optional/ headers into message-inserted-headers, while the check to avoid repeated insertion only applies to /optional/ ones. This looks like a bug to me, and actually putting optional headers into message-inserted-headers as in the attached patch results in the behavior desired in the bug reports. I'd like to propose this patch for No Gnus for now, since it essentially enables an old feature for the first time. WDYT? regards, andreas