* Network issues
@ 2006-03-22  0:28 Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2006-03-22  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

If I'm happily browsing my newsgroups, and then carry my laptop
elsewhere and bring up a new network, my NNTP and RSS servers are no
longer available and Gnus asks if I want to go off-line. I've tried
going into the server buffer and closing and reopening the servers to no
avail. If I restart Emacs, or bring the laptop back to the original
network, then all is well.

It seems that Emacs is caching its network address and thereby confusing
itself. Any thoughts on how I can get Emacs to stop doing that, or to
reset its idea of the network short of restarting Emacs?

Gnus 5.11 on CVS Emacs.

* Re: Network issues
@ 2006-04-11 16:08 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2006-04-11 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:

> It seems that Emacs is caching its network address and thereby confusing
> itself.

Yes, I've seen that, too.

> Any thoughts on how I can get Emacs to stop doing that, or to reset
> its idea of the network short of restarting Emacs?

I've poked around a bit with `M-x apropos', but haven't found anything
likely...

* Re: Network issues
@ 2006-04-11 16:57 ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2006-04-11 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:

> It seems that Emacs is caching its network address and thereby
> confusing itself.

I don't think it does... what you're seeing might be due to a change in
your DNS servers: if you get the new address via DHCP on the new network
then you'll probably get new DNS servers, and the libc resolver caches
them by default.

If that's the problem you just need to install glibc's nscd daemon and
run `nscd -i hosts' to force the daemon the reload resolv.conf.

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | The sea! the sea! the open
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | sea! The blue, the fresh, the
                                        | ever free! --Bryan W. Procter

* Re: Network issues
@ 2006-04-11 18:05   ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2006-04-11 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> writes:

> Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:
>
>> It seems that Emacs is caching its network address and thereby
>> confusing itself.
>
> I don't think it does... what you're seeing might be due to a change in
> your DNS servers: if you get the new address via DHCP on the new network
> then you'll probably get new DNS servers, and the libc resolver caches
> them by default.
>
> If that's the problem you just need to install glibc's nscd daemon and
> run `nscd -i hosts' to force the daemon the reload resolv.conf.

Romain,

You rock. I installed nscd and now Gnus survives the network changes
even without running "nscd -i hosts". Thank you!

* Re: Network issues
@ 2006-04-14 18:50     ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2006-04-14 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:

> Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> writes:
>
>> Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:
>>
>>> It seems that Emacs is caching its network address and thereby
>>> confusing itself.
>>
>> I don't think it does... what you're seeing might be due to a change in
>> your DNS servers: if you get the new address via DHCP on the new network
>> then you'll probably get new DNS servers, and the libc resolver caches
>> them by default.
>>
>> If that's the problem you just need to install glibc's nscd daemon and
>> run `nscd -i hosts' to force the daemon the reload resolv.conf.
>
> Romain,
>
> You rock. I installed nscd and now Gnus survives the network changes
> even without running "nscd -i hosts". Thank you!

I may have spoken too soon. While I was able to switch between an
Earthlink and T-Mobile network yesterday, Gnus failed to find Gmane
today on an AT&T network.