From: Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net>
Subject: Re: No Gnus v0.4 / emacs-cvs terribly slowly operating on large nnfolders
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:02:55 +1100	[thread overview]

Elias Oltmanns <oltmanns@uni-bonn.de> writes:

> accessing a 25MB nnfolder takes at least twice as much time and
> sometimes even up to four times as much when running No Gnus from
> within emacs-snapshot (Debian packaged cvs version) than running in
> emacs 21.4. The reason I'm reporting this here is that visiting the
> file with C-x C-f directly from emacs does not reveal such a
> difference in speed. Yet, every operation performed by gnus on this
> nnfolder, as entering, reading articles, expiring, etc, challenges my
> patience, to say the least.

Well, the best thing to do is probably to profile the operation of
visiting a folder, allowing us to see exactly where time is spent.

Under XEmacs the function `profile-key-sequence' is very useful for
this, but I don't know if that is supported by GNU Emacs.

Searching for `profile' related functions, and reading about profiling
ELisp in the Emacs manual, should point you in the right direction,
though.

The results of that will show where time is being spent, and so allow us
(or you) to know why it is slow and, hopefully, fix it.

    Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707	   email: contact@digital-infrastructure.com.au