* Re: Keeping up with what I download
@ 2006-02-11 23:00 Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2006-02-11 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

You might consider adding %7F to your gnus-group-line-format.  It
is not quite not what you requested.  However, it does tell you
how much of your space is being used by each group on your local
drive.  I've found it quite useful when deciding where to do clean
ups.  The only disadvantage is that it scans your directories
during start-up (it does do in-memory caching) so there is a
performance penalty during start-up.

Kevin

From:  Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Date:  Wed, 08 Feb 2006 10:00:09 -0600

Sent via the EV1 webmail system at mail.ev1.net

* Re: Keeping up with what I download
@ 2006-02-12  3:29 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2006-02-12  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Kevin Greiner" <kevin.greiner@compsol.cc> writes:

> You might consider adding %7F to your gnus-group-line-format.  It
> is not quite not what you requested.  However, it does tell you
> how much of your space is being used by each group on your local
> drive.  I've found it quite useful when deciding where to do clean
> ups.  The only disadvantage is that it scans your directories
> during start-up (it does do in-memory caching) so there is a
> performance penalty during start-up.

When I tried that I was unable to start gnus.  I message buffer I see:

  gnus-cache-update-file-total-fetched-for: Opening directory: no such
  file or directory, /home/reader/News/cache/dummy.group

* Re: Keeping up with what I download
@ 2006-02-12 21:51 Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2006-02-12 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the info.  I've not run into that problem myself.  I'll
see what can be done to resolve it.

Kevin

From:  Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Date:  Sat, 11 Feb 2006 21:29:53 -0600

Sent via the EV1 webmail system at mail.ev1.net

* Keeping up with what I download
@ 2006-02-08 16:00 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2006-02-08 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've used the agent for years and have always kind of wanted some
better way to keep up with what groups are set to download messages.

I keep a number of groups under a `true' category so that all messages
are downloaded when I think to run Js.  Over time adding and only
occasionally subtracting, the list of groups in `true' grows too much.

I'd like to be able to do a couple of things to make keeping up with
that easier:

1) Some keycombo I can press to view a list of groups under `true'.
   Something better than pressing J C to get the agents buffer and
   then `g' to see a messy list of groups that is very hard to scan
   quickly.

2) Some way to Identify in group buffer what groups are in true.  I