* [Newbe] Few questions...
@ 2002-07-02 10:04 Boris DAIX
From: Boris DAIX @ 2002-07-02 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

   I'm new to Gnus and more generally new to Linux... I use Gnus
provided by CVS snapshots for Debian, so it should be the latest
version. I have few questions and would be very happy if they were
answered to :

   - I'd like to sign my mail with gpg. I've put what was needed in
     dot files, and use C-c RET s s to sign but I then jump to
     something I don't understand. I made "INS" to add my pub key, but
     what should I put in "e-mail address" ? My personnal one ? And
     is PEM format the "armored" one ?
   - How to get T H effect ON when I go in Group and Summary buffers
     without to have to type it once (I'd prefer hiding empty groups
     and threads by default - I use topics in group buffer) ?
   - How to get subject and author inversed in summary buffer (my
     gnus-summary-line-format is the default for the moment but it
     doesn't contain what I would like to switch...) ?
   - Why drafts shown in my group buffer can't be hidden if I read
     them/mark them expirable and run the expire process on this group
     (the group comes to 0 articles, but if I make g it comes back
     like if there were new drafts) ?
   - When I initially launch gnus, how to see all NGs on server (A z,
     A k, A l <n> with n=1,2,3 don't show me anything except new NGs
     (one or two of them) with A z) without to do B nntp
     <my.nntp.entenred.in.dot.gnus) ?

   Ok, it seams to be enough. I thank you a lot for paying attention
and would be interested in good links to learn more. I have to say
I've read the manual, went to www.gnus.org, my.gnus.org (where there
is a broken link on gpg howto from pgp howto), www.gnusfr.org. Forgive
me for newbeness, but when I'll be more familiar, I'll help ;-)

Boris

* Re: [Newbe] Few questions...
@ 2002-07-02 10:13 ` Arne Jørgensen
From: Arne Jørgensen @ 2002-07-02 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Boris DAIX <Boris.Daix@insa-lyon.fr> writes:

>    - I'd like to sign my mail with gpg. I've put what was needed in
>      dot files, and use C-c RET s s to sign but I then jump to
>      something I don't understand. I made "INS" to add my pub key, but
>      what should I put in "e-mail address" ? My personnal one ? And
>      is PEM format the "armored" one ?

For PGP you should use "C-C RET s p" or "C-c RET s o".

    /arne
--
stud. scient. Arne Jørgensen
Kollegium 5, 2., v. 222, Universitetsparken, 8000 Århus C

* Re: [Newbe] Few questions...
@ 2002-07-02 10:42 ` Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2002-07-02 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Boris DAIX <Boris.Daix@insa-lyon.fr> writes:

>    - How to get T H effect ON when I go in Group and Summary buffers
>      without to have to type it once (I'd prefer hiding empty groups
>      and threads by default - I use topics in group
>      buffer) ?

Add this to your .gnus.el file:

(setq gnus-thread-hide-subtree t)

To find information about threads, use the built-in info reader
in emacs like this:

`C-h i m gnus [RET] i thread [RET]'

(C-h means to press CTRL and h simultaneously.)

Read more on the subject by pressing [SPACE].

>    - How to get subject and author inversed in summary buffer (my
>      gnus-summary-line-format is the default for the moment but it
>      doesn't contain what I would like to switch...) ?

Again, info is your friend:

`C-h i m gnus [RET] i gnus-summary-line-format [RET] ,'

(The `,' is used to move between index search results.)

>    - Why drafts shown in my group buffer can't be hidden if I read
>      them/mark them expirable and run the expire process on this group
>      (the group comes to 0 articles, but if I make g it comes back
>      like if there were new drafts) ?

You can't mark articles in the nndraft group as read, all
articles are permanently unread. Use `B [DEL]' if you want
to delete drafts.

>    - When I initially launch gnus, how to see all NGs on server (A z,
>      A k, A l <n> with n=1,2,3 don't show me anything except new NGs
>      (one or two of them) with A z) without to do B nntp
>      <my.nntp.entenred.in.dot.gnus) ?

Gnus only shows subscribed newsgroups with new messages. To
see all subscribed newsgroups press `L'. Does this do what
you want?

Niklas

* Re: [Newbe] Few questions...
@ 2002-07-02 11:14   ` Boris DAIX
From: Boris DAIX @ 2002-07-02 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Boris DAIX, ding

Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com> writes:

> Boris DAIX <Boris.Daix@insa-lyon.fr> writes:
>
>>    - How to get T H effect ON when I go in Group and Summary buffers
>>      without to have to type it once (I'd prefer hiding empty groups
>>      and threads by default - I use topics in group
>>      buffer) ?
>
> Add this to your .gnus.el file:
>
> (setq gnus-thread-hide-subtree t)

So this is for summary buffer.
It works, but seams not to be equivalent to 'T H' (or it takes effect
only on a part of summary)

> To find information about threads, use the built-in info reader
> in emacs like this:
>
> `C-h i m gnus [RET] i thread [RET]'
>
> (C-h means to press CTRL and h simultaneously.)
>
> Read more on the subject by pressing [SPACE].

Ok

>>    - How to get subject and author inversed in summary buffer (my
>>      gnus-summary-line-format is the default for the moment but it
>>      doesn't contain what I would like to switch...) ?
>
> Again, info is your friend:
>
> `C-h i m gnus [RET] i gnus-summary-line-format [RET] ,'
>
> (The `,' is used to move between index search results.)
>
>>    - Why drafts shown in my group buffer can't be hidden if I read
>>      them/mark them expirable and run the expire process on this group
>>      (the group comes to 0 articles, but if I make g it comes back
>>      like if there were new drafts) ?
>
> You can't mark articles in the nndraft group as read, all
> articles are permanently unread. Use `B [DEL]' if you want
> to delete drafts.

This works fine.

>>    - When I initially launch gnus, how to see all NGs on server (A z,
>>      A k, A l <n> with n=1,2,3 don't show me anything except new NGs
>>      (one or two of them) with A z) without to do B nntp
>>      <my.nntp.entenred.in.dot.gnus) ?
>
> Gnus only shows subscribed newsgroups with new messages. To
> see all subscribed newsgroups press `L'. Does this do what
> you want?

No, I'd like to get all available NGs on my default nntp server
without to use 'B' in group buffer. I don't know if it's even
possible...

> Niklas

Boris

* Re: [Newbe] Few questions...
@ 2002-07-02 16:26     ` Mark Trettin
From: Mark Trettin @ 2002-07-02 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

* On: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 13:14:30 +0200 Boris DAIX writes:
> Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com> writes:

[...]

>> Gnus only shows subscribed newsgroups with new messages. To
>> see all subscribed newsgroups press `L'. Does this do what
>> you want?

> No, I'd like to get all available NGs on my default nntp server
> without to use 'B' in group buffer. I don't know if it's even
> possible...

Does `A A' help?

Bye

   Mark
--
Mark Trettin · Aachen · Germany · Where is Aachen? --> N: 50°46' E: 06°05'
BOFH excuse #33:

pizeo-electric interference

* Re: [Newbe] Few questions...
@ 2002-07-02 17:28       ` Boris DAIX
From: Boris DAIX @ 2002-07-02 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Trettin <Mark.Trettin@gmx.de> writes:

> * On: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 13:14:30 +0200 Boris DAIX writes:
>> Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>>> Gnus only shows subscribed newsgroups with new messages. To
>>> see all subscribed newsgroups press `L'. Does this do what
>>> you want?
>
>> No, I'd like to get all available NGs on my default nntp server
>> without to use 'B' in group buffer. I don't know if it's even
>> possible...
>
> Does `A A' help?

Yes ! This is what I need... Thanks for it.

Boris