* Gnus and nil secondary select methods?
@ 2001-04-19  2:14 Samuel Padgett
From: Samuel Padgett @ 2001-04-19  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I had the following two lines in my .gnus so I could use Gnus for both
news and mail:

(setq mail-sources '((file)))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")))

I recently commented these out, but Gnus is still reading mail from my
mail spool!  I've checked both of these variables, and they are nil.
(My primary select method is nntp).  Anyone know what might be going
on?  I'm using oGnus v0.1 from a few weeks ago.

Thanks!

Sam
--
Room service?  Send up a larger room.
		-- Groucho Marx

* Re: Gnus and nil secondary select methods?
@ 2001-04-19  9:07 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-04-19  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Maybe you have a foreign nnml server?  Type `^' from the Group buffer
to find out.
kai
--
The passive voice should never be used.

* Re: Gnus and nil secondary select methods?
@ 2001-04-19 13:20   ` Samuel Padgett
From: Samuel Padgett @ 2001-04-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Maybe you have a foreign nnml server?  Type `^' from the Group buffer
> to find out.

This is what I see:

     {nnml:} (opened)
     {nndraft:} (opened)
     {nntp:localhost} (opened)

Hm.  Wonder why nnml is in there?  Could this be causing the problem?

(setq gnus-message-archive-method '(nnml ""))

If so, how can I archive messages using the nnml, but persuade Gnus
not to read from my mail spool?

Thanks!

Sam
--

@ 2001-04-19 13:30     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-04-19 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 19 Apr 2001, Samuel Padgett wrote:

> Hm.  Wonder why nnml is in there?  Could this be causing the
> problem?
>
> (setq gnus-message-archive-method '(nnml ""))

Yes.

> If so, how can I archive messages using the nnml, but persuade Gnus
> not to read from my mail spool?

(setq mail-sources nil)

Or maybe (setq gnus-message-archive-method '(nnml ""
(nnml-get-new-mail nil))).

kai
--

@ 2001-04-19 14:05       ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 2001-04-19 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 19 Apr 2001, Samuel Padgett wrote:
>> Hm.  Wonder why nnml is in there?  Could this be causing the
>> problem?
>>
>> (setq gnus-message-archive-method '(nnml ""))

> Yes.

>> If so, how can I archive messages using the nnml, but persuade Gnus
>> not to read from my mail spool?

> (setq mail-sources nil)

> Or maybe (setq gnus-message-archive-method '(nnml ""
> (nnml-get-new-mail nil))).

The latter one.  That's cleanest.  Otherwise there will be a big
surprise if he decides to read mail with gnus again and even more
particularly if he uses something other than nnml as his mail backend
of choice.

Been there, messed it up, spent way too much time recovering :-)
--
Dave Goldberg
dsg@world.std.com

* Re: Gnus and nil secondary select methods?
@ 2001-04-20  1:02       ` Samuel Padgett
From: Samuel Padgett @ 2001-04-20  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> (setq mail-sources nil)

My mail-sources is already nil, but Gnus is still pulling mail from
the spool.  :-/

> Or maybe (setq gnus-message-archive-method '(nnml ""
> (nnml-get-new-mail nil))).

Haven't tried this yet, though.  I'll give it a shot.  Thanks.

Sam