* auto open servers?
@ 2022-01-22  1:28 Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-01-22  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Can't Gnus do that on its own?

It feels a bit silly entering the server buffer to do that
which happens not often but often enough.

There is `gnus-server-open-all-servers' but it seems one needs
to  have *Servers* open for that ...

Maybe it could/should do that in the background, completely
transparent to the user?

Dunno if that would mean one would need an extra server state
"disconnected ... tries again soon", or how that works?

Alright, sorry for a post that's all over the place (tired),
nah, I'm lying, ignorant actually, but trust me when I say
I have opened servers manually hundreds of times during the
course of these 10+ years ... *sob*

So should be automated! :)

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: auto open servers?
@ 2022-01-24  8:39 ` Alberto Luaces
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2022-01-24  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Emanuel Berg writes:

> Can't Gnus do that on its own?
>
> It feels a bit silly entering the server buffer to do that
> which happens not often but often enough.

Are you referring after suspending/hibernating or just from the
beginning?  I don't have to do anything special for the latter case.

--
Alberto

* Re: auto open servers?
@ 2022-01-24  9:40   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-01-24  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Alberto Luaces wrote:

>> Can't Gnus do that on its own?
>>
>> It feels a bit silly entering the server buffer to do that
>> which happens not often but often enough.
>
> Are you referring after suspending/hibernating ... or just
> from the beginning? I don't have to do anything special for
> the latter case.

Uhm. which case is that?

But actually it doesn't matter, I want Gnus just to
auto-connect if it is `closed', if it is `denied' maybe Gnus
should let it be...

I'll see if I can do a semi-automatic solution where Gnus
mimics the behavior of a human, i.e
`gnus-group-enter-server-mode' and then
`gnus-server-open-all-servers'.

BRBGW

--

@ 2022-01-24 10:06     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-01-24 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I'll see if I can do a semi-automatic solution where Gnus
> mimics the behavior of a human, i.e
> `gnus-group-enter-server-mode' and then
> `gnus-server-open-all-servers'.

Let's see if this does it ...

(defun buffer-names ()
  (mapcar #'buffer-name (buffer-list)) )

(defun gnus-open-servers ()
  (interactive)
  (if (member gnus-server-buffer (buffer-names))
    (with-current-buffer gnus-server-buffer
      (gnus-server-open-all-servers) )
    (gnus-group-enter-server-mode)
    (gnus-server-open-all-servers)
    (gnus-server-exit) ))

--

@ 2022-01-24 10:46       ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2022-01-24 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Jan 24 2022, Emanuel Berg wrote:

>   (if (member gnus-server-buffer (buffer-names))

aka (if (get-buffer gnus-server-buffer)

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org
GPG Key fingerprint = 7578 EB47 D4E5 4D69 2510  2552 DF73 E780 A9DA AEC1

* Re: auto open servers?
@ 2022-01-25 21:28         ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-01-25 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Andreas Schwab wrote:

>> (if (member gnus-server-buffer (buffer-names))
>
> aka (if (get-buffer gnus-server-buffer)

OK, cool, thanks :)

--

@ 2022-01-25 21:35         ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-01-25 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Now it looks like this:

(defun gnus-open-servers ()
  (interactive)
  (unless (get-buffer gnus-server-buffer)
    (gnus-group-enter-server-mode) )
  (with-current-buffer gnus-server-buffer
    (gnus-server-open-all-servers)
    (bury-buffer) )
  (message "done") )

https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/gnus/group.el

--

@ 2022-02-12 16:25           ` hput
From: hput @ 2022-02-12 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Emanuel Berg <moasenwood@zoho.eu> writes:

> Now it looks like this:
>
> (defun gnus-open-servers ()
>   (interactive)
>   (unless (get-buffer gnus-server-buffer)
>     (gnus-group-enter-server-mode) )
>   (with-current-buffer gnus-server-buffer
>     (gnus-server-open-all-servers)
>     (bury-buffer) )
>   (message "done") )

[...]

Is that working for you?  I see no improvement running M-x

gnus-open-servers <RET>

Still get the busy sign for ages or maybe forever.

Maybe I misunderstand this thread but I often see in server mode that
server shows open but I get no action trying to send post or get new
news, until I close server and then reopen.

I can load a snippet of code posted here a while back by Eric A:

(dolist (elem gnus-opened-servers)
  (gnus-close-server (car elem)))

I load it in what is no doubt about the most primitive possible way by
M-x load-file  and loading a file containing erics above code.

That does get some action... but even that, lately has been taking a while
to goad news.gmane.io into action

Is it possible you can post something that combines both code snippets?

* Re: auto open servers?
@ 2022-02-12 20:24             ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2022-02-12 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

hput <hputn3@zohomail.com> writes:

> Emanuel Berg <moasenwood@zoho.eu> writes:
>
>> Now it looks like this:
>>
>> (defun gnus-open-servers ()
>>   (interactive)
>>   (unless (get-buffer gnus-server-buffer)
>>     (gnus-group-enter-server-mode) )
>>   (with-current-buffer gnus-server-buffer
>>     (gnus-server-open-all-servers)
>>     (bury-buffer) )
>>   (message "done") )
>>

> [...]
>
> Is that working for you?  I see no improvement running M-x
>
> gnus-open-servers <RET>
>
> Still get the busy sign for ages or maybe forever.
>
> Maybe I misunderstand this thread but I often see in server mode that
> server shows open but I get no action trying to send post or get new
> news, until I close server and then reopen.
>
> I can load a snippet of code posted here a while back by Eric A:
>
> (dolist (elem gnus-opened-servers)
>   (gnus-close-server (car elem)))
>
> I load it in what is no doubt about the most primitive possible way by
> M-x load-file  and loading a file containing erics above code.
>
> That does get some action... but even that, lately has been taking a while
> to goad news.gmane.io into action
>
> Is it possible you can post something that combines both code snippets?

You can just put my code inside Emanuel's code:

(defun gnus-reopen-servers ()
  (interactive)
  (unless (get-buffer gnus-server-buffer)
    (gnus-group-enter-server-mode))
  (dolist (elem gnus-opened-servers)
    (gnus-close-server (car elem)))
  (with-current-buffer gnus-server-buffer
    (gnus-server-open-all-servers)))

Then you'll want to either attach that to a hook, or put it on a timer,
or bind it to a key... or some combination of those.

* Re: auto open servers?
@ 2022-02-12 21:10             ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-02-12 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

hput wrote:

>> Now it looks like this:
>>
>> (defun gnus-open-servers ()
>>   (interactive)
>>   (unless (get-buffer gnus-server-buffer)
>>     (gnus-group-enter-server-mode) )
>>   (with-current-buffer gnus-server-buffer
>>     (gnus-server-open-all-servers)
>>     (bury-buffer) )
>>   (message "done") )
>
> Is that working for you?

Yep. Now it looks like this:

(defun gnus-open-servers (&optional silent)
  (interactive)
  (unless (get-buffer gnus-server-buffer)
    (gnus-group-enter-server-mode) )
  (with-current-buffer gnus-server-buffer
    (gnus-server-open-all-servers)
    (bury-buffer) )
  (unless silent
    (message "open") )) ; [1]

> I see no improvement running M-x
>
> gnus-open-servers <RET>

The improvement is, without it one server can be offline for
some reason, and it doesn't seem to reconnect, so when I do
`gnus-group-get-new-news' sometimes I think I'm not getting
any for a long time, then I think of checking *Server* and see
one or more if offline and get 50+ messages.

And sometimes I do actually get nothing, and I check the
*Server* buffer for no reason.

Since this, opening closed servers, is my only use case in the
*Server* buffer, and I always want them all open if possible,
I thought one would automate it. So now `gnus-open-servers'
happens before `gnus-group-get-new-news' ...

> Still get the busy sign for ages or maybe forever.

Sounds like that old bug or whatever it is ...

> Maybe I misunderstand this thread but I often see in server
> mode that server shows open but I get no action trying to
> send post or get new news, until I close server and
> then reopen.

The/a stuck process is perhaps killed that way, and restarted
it works again. Don't know why that happens (if so) tho ...

> Is it possible you can post something that combines both
> code snippets?

Sure, but opening a server that is closed makes sense, but
restarting it because it doesn't work otherwise is indicative
of a problem, that hasn't been solved ...

[1] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/gnus/group.el

--

@ 2022-02-12 21:11               ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-02-12 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> You can just put my code inside Emanuel's code:
>
> (defun gnus-reopen-servers ()
>   (interactive)
>   (unless (get-buffer gnus-server-buffer)
>     (gnus-group-enter-server-mode))
>   (dolist (elem gnus-opened-servers)
>     (gnus-close-server (car elem)))
>   (with-current-buffer gnus-server-buffer
>     (gnus-server-open-all-servers)))
>
> Then you'll want to either attach that to a hook, or put it
> on a timer, or bind it to a key... or some combination
> of those.

Yeah, but why is it necessary to `gnus-close-server' at all?

--

@ 2022-02-12 21:31                 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2022-02-12 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Emanuel Berg <moasenwood@zoho.eu> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
>> You can just put my code inside Emanuel's code:
>>
>> (defun gnus-reopen-servers ()
>>   (interactive)
>>   (unless (get-buffer gnus-server-buffer)
>>     (gnus-group-enter-server-mode))
>>   (dolist (elem gnus-opened-servers)
>>     (gnus-close-server (car elem)))
>>   (with-current-buffer gnus-server-buffer
>>     (gnus-server-open-all-servers)))
>>
>> Then you'll want to either attach that to a hook, or put it
>> on a timer, or bind it to a key... or some combination
>> of those.
>
> Yeah, but why is it necessary to `gnus-close-server' at all?

In my experience (though this could be a misinterpretation), sometimes
when Gnus thinks an nntp server is already open it will continue to
treat it as open, even if the server has actually stopped responding.
So you get the timeouts as Gnus tries to talk to a dead server. Better
to explicitly close and re-open.

* Re: auto open servers?
@ 2022-02-12 21:38                   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-02-12 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

>> Yeah, but why is it necessary to `gnus-close-server' at all?
>
> In my experience (though this could be a misinterpretation),
> sometimes when Gnus thinks an nntp server is already open it
> will continue to treat it as open, even if the server has
> actually stopped responding. So you get the timeouts as Gnus
> tries to talk to a dead server. Better to explicitly close
> and re-open.

But I don't get the timeouts anymore ...

--

@ 2022-02-13 13:29               ` hput
From: hput @ 2022-02-13 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Emanuel Berg <moasenwood@zoho.eu> writes:

>> Maybe I misunderstand this thread but I often see in server
>> mode that server shows open but I get no action trying to
>> send post or get new news, until I close server and
>> then reopen.
>
> The/a stuck process is perhaps killed that way, and restarted
> it works again. Don't know why that happens (if so) tho ...
>
>> Is it possible you can post something that combines both
>> code snippets?
>
> Sure, but opening a server that is closed makes sense, but
> restarting it because it doesn't work otherwise is indicative
> of a problem, that hasn't been solved ...

Do you mean a problem with the server or in the users gnus setup?
Or I guess maybe both.

* Re: auto open servers?
@ 2022-02-13 22:46                 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-02-13 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

hput wrote:

>>> Is it possible you can post something that combines both
>>> code snippets?
>>
>> Sure, but opening a server that is closed makes sense, but
>> restarting it because it doesn't work otherwise is
>> indicative of a problem, that hasn't been solved ...
>
> Do you mean a problem with the server or in the users gnus
> setup? Or I guess maybe both.

I don't know what this problem is or where it is ...

--

@ 2022-02-23 16:07               ` hput
From: hput @ 2022-02-23 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

hput wrote:
>> Is it possible you can post something that combines both code snippets?

Eric responded:
> You can just put my code inside Emanuel's code:
>
> (defun gnus-reopen-servers ()
>   (interactive)
>   (unless (get-buffer gnus-server-buffer)
>     (gnus-group-enter-server-mode))
>   (dolist (elem gnus-opened-servers)
>     (gnus-close-server (car elem)))
>   (with-current-buffer gnus-server-buffer
>     (gnus-server-open-all-servers)))
>
> Then you'll want to either attach that to a hook, or put it on a timer,
> or bind it to a key... or some combination of those.

Is it expected that above code should throw focus into server buffer
and remain there until manually 'Q'ing out?

* Re: auto open servers?
@ 2022-02-23 16:19                 ` hput
From: hput @ 2022-02-23 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

hput <hputn3@zohomail.com> writes:

> hput wrote:
>>> Is it possible you can post something that combines both code snippets?
>
> Eric responded:
>> You can just put my code inside Emanuel's code:
>>
>> (defun gnus-reopen-servers ()
>>   (interactive)
>>   (unless (get-buffer gnus-server-buffer)
>>     (gnus-group-enter-server-mode))
>>   (dolist (elem gnus-opened-servers)
>>     (gnus-close-server (car elem)))
>>   (with-current-buffer gnus-server-buffer
>>     (gnus-server-open-all-servers)))
>>
>> Then you'll want to either attach that to a hook, or put it on a timer,
>> or bind it to a key... or some combination of those.
>
> Is it expected that above code should throw focus into server buffer
> and remain there until manually 'Q'ing out?

Sorry, I see the bit about burying buffer is not encluded there:

this seems to do it without jerking you into the server buffer phsyically.

(defun gnus-reopen-servers ()
  (interactive)
  (unless (get-buffer gnus-server-buffer)
    (gnus-group-enter-server-mode))
  (dolist (elem gnus-opened-servers)
    (gnus-close-server (car elem)))
  (with-current-buffer gnus-server-buffer
    (gnus-server-open-all-servers)
    (bury-buffer) )
  (message "done") )

Tough you probably woud'nt want to run it in the middle of reading a
group.

* Re: auto open servers?
@ 2022-02-23 16:44                   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2022-02-23 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

hput <hputn3@zohomail.com> writes:

> hput <hputn3@zohomail.com> writes:
>
>> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:

>> Eric responded:
>>> You can just put my code inside Emanuel's code:
>>>
>>> (defun gnus-reopen-servers ()
>>>   (interactive)
>>>   (unless (get-buffer gnus-server-buffer)
>>>     (gnus-group-enter-server-mode))
>>>   (dolist (elem gnus-opened-servers)
>>>     (gnus-close-server (car elem)))
>>>   (with-current-buffer gnus-server-buffer
>>>     (gnus-server-open-all-servers)))
>>>
>>> Then you'll want to either attach that to a hook, or put it on a timer,
>>> or bind it to a key... or some combination of those.
>>
>> Is it expected that above code should throw focus into server buffer
>> and remain there until manually 'Q'ing out?
>
> Sorry, I see the bit about burying buffer is not encluded there:
>
> this seems to do it without jerking you into the server buffer phsyically.
>
> (defun gnus-reopen-servers ()
>   (interactive)
>   (unless (get-buffer gnus-server-buffer)
>     (gnus-group-enter-server-mode))
>   (dolist (elem gnus-opened-servers)
>     (gnus-close-server (car elem)))
>   (with-current-buffer gnus-server-buffer
>     (gnus-server-open-all-servers)
>     (bury-buffer) )
>   (message "done") )
>
> Tough you probably woud'nt want to run it in the middle of reading a
> group.

Sorry, I didn't actually test that code! You could bury-buffer, but the
safer thing to do would be to wrap the whole thing in
`save-window-excursion', which will recover gracefully from errors and
whatnot.

But really, there isn't any reason to go into the *Server* buffer at
all. Just loop on `gnus-opened-servers' and for each one call
`gnus-close-server' then `gnus-open-server'. When that's done you could
see if the *Server* buffer exists, and if so go there and call
`gnus-server-list-servers' which will refresh the *Server* buffer with
current state.

* Re: auto open servers?
@ 2022-02-26  6:29                     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-02-26  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> But really, there isn't any reason to go into the *Server*
> buffer at all.

The reason is then you can use

@ 2022-02-26  6:34                     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-02-26  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> Sorry, I didn't actually test that code! You could
> bury-buffer, but the safer thing to do would be to wrap the
> whole thing in `save-window-excursion', which will recover
> gracefully from errors and whatnot.

OK,

(defun gnus-open-servers (&optional silent)
  (interactive)
  (save-window-excursion