* emacs 28 search not working with nnml
@ 2021-06-23 12:54 Thomas Alexander Gerds
From: Thomas Alexander Gerds @ 2021-06-23 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

hello

a recent upgrade to emacs 28.0.50 and my homegrown search functions
stopped working. Eric Abrahamsen kindly helped me to translate my
obsolete nnir-settings (thank you Eric!). but there is another problem
deeper in the system which I describe here.

I am using nnml and have all my email downloaded to my laptop using
notmuch for searching. now I am confident that notmuch is finding some
articles when I enter via GG or envoke this very simple function:

(defun test-search ()
  (interactive)
  (gnus-group-read-ephemeral-search-group
   nil
   `((search-query-spec (query . "from:Alessandra"))
     (search-group-spec ("nnml:" . ("nnml:research"))))))

some hours debugging showed that nnselect-retrieve-headers calls the
macro nnselect-get-artlist which returns a too long group name, i.e.,
"nnml:home.tag.mail.research" where I think that it should simply return
"research". at least this helps a little bit because

a) now nnmail-group-pathname does not produce the buggy result
/home/tag/mail/nnml/home/tag/mail

b) the following hack

,----
| (setq nnselect-retrieve-headers-override-function 'my-retrieve-headers)
| (defun my-retrieve-headers (sequence &optional group server fetch-old)
|   (setq group (replace-in-string group "nnml.home.tag.mail." ""))
|     (when (nnml-possibly-change-directory group server)
`----

shows me a summary buffer with the search results. only the body of
articles are all empty. I guess this happens because
(replace-in-string group "nnml.home.tag.mail." "") should be applied not only when
retrieving headers but also when retrieving articles.

now I am hoping that this is a bug which can be fixed somewhere earlier
on in this complex chain of commands? but, any help is very much
appreciated.

cheers, Thomas

--
7LL-6 Stop thinking too much, it’s alright not to know all the answers.