Gnus development mailing list
From: reader <reader@newsguy.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: smtp send it and creds
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 19:31:40 -0500

I must be getting the code wrong for passing the credentials without
manual intervention.

My smtp code in gnus looks like:

(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it ; if you use message/Gnus
          smtpmail-smtp-server  "smtp.xxxxxxxx.com"
          smtpmail-stream-type  'ssl
          smtpmail-smtp-service 465
          smtpmail-auth-credentials "/home/reader/.authinfo")

A few times it passed a message without dunning me for password but
mostly not...

My authinfo entry:
machine smtp.xxxxxxxxxx.com login xxxxx@xxxxxxx.com passwd xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Even though the wiki says the style below was stopped a good while
ago, I tried it any way with no better results.

  ;; '(("smtp.xxxxx.com" 465 "xxxxx@xxxxxx.xxx" "xxxxxxxxxxxxxx")))