* About stalling at tailend of `g'
@ 2018-05-23 12:20 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2018-05-23 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Running emacs version:
GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d
   scroll bars)

Gnus usually stalls at the end of a mail/news fetch.  It shows
processing `nndrafts:drafts' and never gives the prompt back. Requires
a kill (`M-g') to continue. Usually takes 3 (immediately executed)
more fetches to finally process all and give back the prompt at the
end of fetch without an `M-g'

Details:

This problem has been occuring probably for at least 1 yr and maybe
longer. It is a bit annoying.

The initial fetch that happens on gnus startup does not exibit the
problem.

I would like to know if there is someway to run a full startup fetch
(as if from scratch) when gnus is already running without having to
shut it down first.

`R' (restart gnus) does always finish the fetch... but its a bit heavy
duty to do every 5 or whatever minutes of use. Is it possible to make
the normal fetchs invoked by `g' behave like a 'R' (restart) fetch?

* Re: About stalling at tailend of `g'
@ 2018-05-23 15:27 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-05-23 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Running emacs version:
> GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d
>    scroll bars)

> Gnus usually stalls at the end of a mail/news fetch.  It shows
> processing `nndrafts:drafts' and never gives the prompt back. Requires
> a kill (`M-g') to continue. Usually takes 3 (immediately executed)
> more fetches to finally process all and give back the prompt at the
> end of fetch without an `M-g'

I think one of the first things to try is setting gnus-verbose to 10:
that might show you relevant messages. Often when Gnus hangs during
refresh, and you're seeing a message in the minibuffer like "processing
foo", what's actually happening is the server *after* that one is having
problems. With gnus-verbose at 10, you might see something like
"starting connection..." and then it hangs, and you'll have a better
sense of what the actual source of the problem is.

> Details:
>
> This problem has been occuring probably for at least 1 yr and maybe
> longer. It is a bit annoying.
>
> The initial fetch that happens on gnus startup does not exibit the
> problem.
>
> I would like to know if there is someway to run a full startup fetch
> (as if from scratch) when gnus is already running without having to
> shut it down first.
>
> `R' (restart gnus) does always finish the fetch... but its a bit heavy
> duty to do every 5 or whatever minutes of use. Is it possible to make
> the normal fetchs invoked by `g' behave like a 'R' (restart) fetch?

I think if "g" behaved like "R", it would be "R" :)

Better to find the actual source of the problem. Another thing to do is
go into the *Server* buffer and deny your servers one-by-one, doing
another "g" for each denial. That also might show you which server is
acting up.

Eric