From: Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Possible ideas for "inbox zero"
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 17:26:10 -0500	[thread overview]

On Dec 14, 2015, Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net> wrote:

> I use some marks to help with this, and have a script that I run
> directly on the imap server to delete trashed mail only after a
> particular life cycle (eg, 21 days).  So the folder appears mostly
> blank.  But I rarely seem to mentally trust it and thus leave stuff
> marked as read instead of trashed (I also have a script that runs out of
> cron syncing Trashed (phone) and Expired (gnus)).

The interplay between other clients and Gnus is a bit of a problem
these days, so I'm curious to hear more about the Trash/Expired script.
Currently I mark lots of mail messages in Gnus as expirable, and use
(display . [not expire]) in my group parameters.  This makes the
expirable articles invisible, unless I bring them back with `/ w'.
They get deleted after a couple of weeks.

With IMAP clients, you can move messages to the Trash, which serves
a similar function, but isn't as clean, as you can't easily view the
messages related to the current group.

But worst of all, the two methods don't work together.  All of my
expirable message show up in my other IMAP clients, and the Trashed
messages don't show up as expirable in Gnus.

So I'd love to hear what you (or others) do to handle this.

I think the best solution will be for Lars to port Gnus to Android
during his time off in February...

Dan