* Prevent mails from being expired
@ 2014-11-23  8:06 Stefan Nobis
From: Stefan Nobis @ 2014-11-23  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi.

I just created a new IMAP mail group and want to put some mails from
my main inbox into that new group and these mails should never be
deleted. Usually I open my main inbox, read a mail and then decide to
move it to the new group.

But my main inbox is configured to auto-expire mails, so once I read a
mail it is marked as expirable (with a capital E). When I now move
this mail into the new group, it is still marked as expirable.

When I enter the new group and leave it again, my moved and expirable
mail will be deleted by the expiry process at once.

I thought I did understand the expiry process, but here something
magic happens. The new group is set to (auto-epxire . nil) via group
parameters (and according to the documentation the expirable mark
should be removed on copying or moving to a group in with auto-expire
is not turned on - but this does not happen) and additionally I set
(expiry-wait . 'never). Both settings do not help - I have to got to
the moved mail and manually set its mark from expirable back to read.
Only then it will not be expired.

Has anyone an idea what I'm doing wrong or how I could further
investigate the problem?

--
Until the next mail...,
Stefan.

* Re: Prevent mails from being expired
@ 2015-01-26  4:11 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2015-01-26  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Stefan Nobis <stefan-ml@snobis.de> writes:

> I just created a new IMAP mail group and want to put some mails from
> my main inbox into that new group and these mails should never be
> deleted. Usually I open my main inbox, read a mail and then decide to
> move it to the new group.
>
> But my main inbox is configured to auto-expire mails, so once I read a
> mail it is marked as expirable (with a capital E). When I now move
> this mail into the new group, it is still marked as expirable.
>
> When I enter the new group and leave it again, my moved and expirable
> mail will be deleted by the expiry process at once.

Yes, you should remove the "E" mark (with `M-u' or the like) before
moving it, perhaps.

> I thought I did understand the expiry process, but here something
> magic happens. The new group is set to (auto-epxire . nil) via group
> parameters (and according to the documentation the expirable mark
> should be removed on copying or moving to a group in with auto-expire
> is not turned on - but this does not happen) and additionally I set
> (expiry-wait . 'never).

That should probably be

 (expiry-wait . never)