From: Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org>
To: Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Something similar to offlineimap for news server (gmane) and smtp?
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 10:38:50 +0100	[thread overview]

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

Hi Rainer,

> I really like my mail setup with offlineimap. There are only two
> things I would like to have:
>
> 1) something similar to offlineimap for gmane, so that I can download
> my news into a local news server and then read it when offline and

As others already suggested, using the gnus agent is probably the best
approach (and I also use that).  But anyway, similar to offlineimap but
for newsgroups is the local newsserver leafnode.  In that, you can
configure many remote nntp servers, say, gmane and the one you use for
traditional nntp groups, and then you simply connect to localhost from
within gnus and see all usenet and gmane groups.

> 2) a local smtp relay (I think this is the right word) to which I can
> send email but which is really sending them out once I am online (or
> can I do this in gnus?)

When you save a mail/posting during composition, it'll be stored in your
drafts group.  So if you are offline, just save it and kill the buffer.
Then you can send it later when you're online again.

Of course, that's far from automatic but it works well enough for me.
The good thing about it that you can be really sure if and when your
mails have been sent.

Bye,
Tassilo