From: lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Has anyone created code for reply to author on yahoogroups?
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 22:25:47 +0200	[thread overview]

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

>> Look at the group setup (Gc in the group buffer) and set up the mailing
>> list address?
>
> No, that won't help.  Setting to-address and (broken-reply-to . t) in
> the group parameters work with the old style at yahoogroups and other
> mailing list agents, where a reply-to header redirects repliers to the
> list.
>
> What Yahoogroups now does, is to mangle the sender, so that the actual
> email address there is the list address.  The address of the sender is
> made part of the "real name"-part of the From-field:
>  "Steinar Bang sb@dod.no [somelist]" <somelist@yahoogroups.com>

Yahoo needs to fix their broken setup.

Other than that, you could pipe the mails through a perl script that
fixes the headers.  The Email::Simple module does a pretty good job at
reading them.  If you use an IMAP account, Net::IMAP::Client works well,
too --- only you may have to put in delays when fetching messages
consecutively because otherwise you may obtain a message that has no
body.  It goes like this:

sub fix_data {
  my ($msgbody) = @_;
  #
  # $msgbody is a string containing the complete message with all
  # headers
  #
  my @h_subject = decode('MIME-Header', $email->header('Subject'));
  my $fixed = [do something here and return fixed message];
  return $fixed;
}

  my $imap = Net::IMAP::Client->new(
				    server => SERVER,
				    user => USER,
				    pass => PASS,
				    ssl => 1,
				    ssl_verify_peer => 0,
				    port => 993)
    or die "connection to imap server failed";

  $imap->login or die "login failed\n";
  $imap->select('INBOX');

  foreach my $id ($imap->search('ALL')) {
    foreach my $msg (@$id) {
      my $data = $imap->get_rfc822_body($msg);
      my $fixed = fix_headers($$data);
      [somehow put fixed message as a new one on IMAP server];
      #
      # delete the original message
      #
      $imap->add_flags($msg, '\\Deleted');
      sleep(20);
    }
  }
  $imap->expunge;
  $imap->logout;

If you have the messages in nnml storage or the like, it's much easier
of course.

>> I do that for lists, and it works fine, plus I have
>
>> (setq message-subscribed-address-functions
>>       '(gnus-find-subscribed-addresses))
>
>> in .gnus, though I'm not too sure about this having the effect I would
>> assume it has.
>
> I don't know... what effect do you think it has...? :-)

IIRC it should make it so that I do not need to configure the groups I'm
using for mail from mailing lists.

> (If you always reply, or post, inside the list's mail group, or if you
> do 'C-u a' on top of the list's mail group, then you don't need it, I
> think)

I do either F, a or, rarely, R.

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.