* Using gnus with gmail: almost there
@ 2014-07-29  4:00 carlosjosepita
From: carlosjosepita @ 2014-07-29  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi all, it's my first day with gnus and I'm pretty happy with the level
of integration I was able to achieve with gmail imap. Nevertheless,
there are a few quirks remaining and any help from the experienced users
here would be very much appreciated. Let's see:

1) I would like to include my sent emails in the threads where they
belong, like in the "conversation" view gmail offers. There is a
suggestion somewhere in the net to create a virtual group merging the
inbox and the sent mail groups, but this will only work for threads in
the inbox. Another option is to add a copy of any sent mail to the
current group, i.e. something like:

(setq gnus-message-archive-group
      (lambda (g) (concat "nnimap+gmail:" g)))

But this has some problems:
  1.i) I don't know how to do this *only* for the gmail server.
  1.ii) Obviously it doesn't work for emails sent from the webmail.

Nevertheless, being able to solve 1.i alone would be very good news for
me.

2) I would like to postpone a message directly to a remote group
(ideally, the gmail drafts folder). Currently I'm able to locally
postpone a message and then move it to the remote group. A way to
automate this is what I can't come with (or, better, to directly store
the draft in the remote group, which I'm afraid is not possible).

Well, I think that's all for the time being. Thank you in advance.

Cheers
--
Carlos

* Re: Using gnus with gmail: almost there
@ 2014-08-01  9:01     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2014-08-01  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos Pita; +Cc: ding

Carlos Pita <carlosjosepita@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Carlos,

> gcc-self is indeed a great tip, thank you!

Thanks!

> As you've become sort of my guru now, I'm asking you further: I'm
> having a hard time trying to match my primary method groups by prefix,
> as in "imap.*"; the problem is that these groups don't show the method
> prefix, only the secondary ones,

Oh, really?  I wasn't aware of that.

> but I really want to get a similar behavior for all my primary select
> method without having to match on a per group basis. Is that possible?

Well, I don't use a primary select method at all, only secondary ones.
And as far as I know, there's nothing making them less powerful or
second class citizens (well, except that the backend is always shown, it
seems), so you might want to do the same.

  ;; Make the primary select method a do-nothing one
  (setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil))

  ;; Only use severeal secondary select methods
  (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
	     '(nntp "Gmane"
		    (nntp-address "news.gmane.org")))

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Using gnus with gmail: almost there
@ 2014-07-31 20:36     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-07-31 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Carlos Pita <carlosjosepita@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm having a hard time trying to match my primary method groups by
> prefix, as in "imap.*"; the problem is that these groups don't show
> the method prefix, only the secondary ones, but I really want to get a
> similar behavior for all my primary select method without having to
> match on a per group basis. Is that possible?

Probably not the answer you are looking for, but: I use nnnil as the
primary method, and all the real stuff is secondary methods - nobody
gets put on the primary piedestal.

  :-),

   Adam

--
 "It troo! Dat darn Kahlfin stole ma spacechip!"              Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Using gnus with gmail: almost there
@ 2014-07-31 20:27       ` Carlos Pita
From: Carlos Pita @ 2014-07-31 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Here's another alternative (similar to the one I posted a couple of days
ago):

(setq gnus-message-archive-group
      (lambda (g)
	(when (message-mail-p)
	  (concat "nnimap+gmail:" g))))

If I'm not wrong this is more or less equivalent to:

(setq gnus-parameters
      '(("^[^:]+$" (gcc-self . t)
	("^[^:]+:.+$" (gcc-self . none)))))

The first one has a more flexible matching mechanism, as it let's you
pass a lambda expression. But it can't set anything besides the
group. It would be nice that gnus-parameters worked more like
gnus-message-archive-groups, allowing one to passed a dotted pair list
but also a function or expression.

Regards
--

@ 2014-07-31 19:44     ` Carlos Pita
From: Carlos Pita @ 2014-07-31 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: tsdh

Well, this is the best I could come with, considering that emacs
regexps have no negative look-ahead or any fancy stuff:

(setq gnus-parameters
      '(("^[^:]+$"
    (gcc-self . t)
    (gnus-gcc-mark-as-read . t))))

It will work as long as there are no gmail labels including a ':'. If
you know of a better approach, please tell me!

Regards
--
Carlos

@ 2014-07-31 19:18   ` Carlos Pita