From: Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: What happened to snappy low-bandwidth nnimap?
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 20:46:38 +0200	[thread overview]

> David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

[snip!]
>> Gnus' nnimap used to be pretty snappy with low bandwidths, but now I
>> get "Initial sync of 2 groups (please wait)" and it downloads about
>> 700kb of data. While that in itself is pretty bad, I could probably
>> live with it if it actually did this once, but it does it almost
>> *every* time; so much for "initial".

[snip!]
> Having spent a lot of time getting to understand agent, queues, plugging
> and levels and level specific downloads last summer on holiday I too
> have now noted that imap connections are really really slow on low
> bandwidth connections and it appears to be fetching a lot of data
> despite nothing being new.

I guess it would be neat if one of you could use git bisect to find the
commit that triggered the behaviour...?

I haven't noticed it myself, but that probably means I don't have slow
enough lines even when on mobile networks.  So I can't do the bisect
myself.

What I do when bisecting, is:
 1. git bisect start HEAD good-commit (for "good commit" pick one that
    you're sure is back when things were OK)
 2. compile, with eg.
     (cd ~/git/gnus; make clean; make; cd lisp; make tags)
 3. start a new emacs, start gnus, and test
 4. If the nnimap operations were slow, do:
     git bisect bad
    If the nnimap operations were fast, do:
     git bisect good
    If git reports it has found the offending commit, move to step 5,
    otherwise move to step 2. and repeat from there
 5. Report the offending commit, then clean up the working directory:
     git bisect reset
     git checkout master