Hello, I'm bothered by the behaviour that Gnus always asks me to decrypt my .authinfo.gpg, though none of the servers need authentication. I had a look at the source and found the bug here: At nntp.el, around line 1197, at beginning of defun nntp-send-authinfo, a call to auth-source-search is made. This function parses entries in auth-sources, which should be nntp-authinfo-file, as suggested by the manual; but we didn't set it. Therefore it's trying to visit the default auth source files, and decrypts that. I guess the solution is to add this in the let*, before that call: (auth-sources (list nntp-authinfo-file)) Can you add it and try? PS. I don't know why specifying (nntp-authinfo-function my-no-op) doesn't work, where my-no-op is a function that accepts any parameter and does nothing; it's never called. Perhaps another bug out there. -- Carl Lei (XeCycle) Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University OpenPGP public key: 7795E591 Fingerprint: 1FB6 7F1F D45D F681 C845 27F7 8D71 8EC4 7795 E591