* Git support question part XXIV
@ 2012-02-02 10:27 Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-02-02 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Everything seems to work fine when doing merges from No Gnus to Ma Gnus,
but the messages on the gitlog group looks odd:

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.cvs/11779

It seems like the ChangeLog "diff" gets longer and longer and longer the
more I merge.  But the bogus lines start with " +" instead of "+", so
it's not really a diff, either.  So I'm wondering what it's doing, and
whether I'm doing anything wrong.

  http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no  *  Sent from my Rome

* Re: Git support question part XXIV
@ 2012-02-02 10:38 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2012-02-02 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> It seems like the ChangeLog "diff" gets longer and longer and longer the
> more I merge.  But the bogus lines start with " +" instead of "+", so
> it's not really a diff, either.  So I'm wondering what it's doing, and
> whether I'm doing anything wrong.

See git-diff(1), section COMBINED DIFF FORMAT for the description of the
format.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: Git support question part XXIV
@ 2012-02-02 10:41   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-02-02 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: ding

Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> writes:

> See git-diff(1), section COMBINED DIFF FORMAT for the description of the
> format.

I see.  But will the ChangeLog combined diff continue to increase in
size forever?

@ 2012-02-02 10:55     ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2012-02-02 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: ding

> I see.  But will the ChangeLog combined diff continue to increase in
> size forever?

As long as they differ from each other at the same place, yes.  It's
inherent in the changelog format, since they always conflict.

Andreas.

--

@ 2012-02-02 12:40       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-02-02 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

The question is then: is the combined diff format meaningful at all?

Wouldn't it have been more meaningful to diff against the previous
commit on master?

* Re: Git support question part XXIV
@ 2012-02-02 12:43         ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-02-02 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> Wouldn't it have been more meaningful to diff against the previous
> commit on master?

I would think so?  Perhaps that's something that can be tweaked in the
gitlog script?

  http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no  *  Sent from my Rome