From: Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Where are group parameters stored?
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 09:13:38 +0200	[thread overview]

lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:

Hi Lee,

>> (setq gnus-parameters
>>       `((,(rx (or "emacs" "gnus"))                ;; 1)
>>          (gnus-button-emacs-level 10))
>>
>> 	(,(rx "nnimap+")                             ;; 2)
>> 	 (gnus-use-scoring nil)
>> 	 (gcc-self . t))
>> 	(,(rx "nnimap+Uni:ml/")                      ;; 3)
>> 	 (gcc-self . "nnimap+Uni:Sent"))
>> 	(,(rx "nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.mailinglists.") ;; 4)
>> 	 (gcc-self . "nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.Sent Items")
>> 	 (gnus-use-scoring t))))
>
> What does the above do?

1) In all groups containing emacs or gnus in their name the buttonize
   level is increased, so that strings in articles that match an emacs
   variable or function name are buttonized.  Clicking on them then
   shows the help buffer you'd also get with `C-h f the-function RET'.

2) In all groups containing "nnimap+" (i.e., all groups of any IMAP
   server) the scoring is turned of and when I start a mail in such a
   group, then my own message is put into this group as well.

3) In all groups containing "nnimap+Uni:ml/", which is the base below I
   have folders for different mailinglists on my university account, I
   set an explicit sent mail folder which overrides the gcc-self from
   2).

4) Like 3) for another account.  Again, I override the gcc-self
   "inherited" from 2) and also activate scoring for these mailinglists.

Inheritance here means that the individual parameters are applied in
sequence.  So if you order them from lax regexps to more specific
regexps (for example based on the folder structure like I do), you can
set parameters for a whole set of groups first and override them for
some exceptional groups that are matched by stricted regexps later in
the list.

Bye,
Tassilo
--