* bulk move to non-existant group
@ 2011-03-19 11:31 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-03-19 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I seem to have just deleted all my archived sent messages from 2010 by
moving them into a non-existant group. When you move one message into a
non-existant group it asks if you want to create it. I marked a whole
year's worth of messages and moved them. To be honest I don't remember
if it prompted me to create the group or not, but the upshot is that the
group wasn't created and a year's worth of sent messages disappeared.
I've had a look at gnus-summary-move-article and it's about a mile
long—can someone tell me if something is wrong in there? I'm not about
to do any more experimentation…

Thanks,
Eric

* Re: bulk move to non-existant group
@ 2011-03-20  1:52 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-03-20  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 19:31:22 +0800 Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:

EA> I seem to have just deleted all my archived sent messages from 2010 by
EA> moving them into a non-existant group. When you move one message into a
EA> non-existant group it asks if you want to create it. I marked a whole
EA> year's worth of messages and moved them. To be honest I don't remember
EA> if it prompted me to create the group or not, but the upshot is that the
EA> group wasn't created and a year's worth of sent messages disappeared.
EA> I've had a look at gnus-summary-move-article and it's about a mile
EA> long—can someone tell me if something is wrong in there? I'm not about
EA> to do any more experimentation…

I doubt you actually lost the messages.  Let's do it the slow but sure
way.  Go to the server buffer (`^' from the Group buffer).  Hit RET on
each server, then RET on each group on that server.  You'll
probably find an unsubscribed group where your messages dwell now.

Ted

* Re: bulk move to non-existant group
@ 2011-03-20  3:40   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-03-20  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 19:31:22 +0800 Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
>
> EA> I seem to have just deleted all my archived sent messages from 2010 by
> EA> moving them into a non-existant group. When you move one message into a
> EA> non-existant group it asks if you want to create it. I marked a whole
> EA> year's worth of messages and moved them. To be honest I don't remember
> EA> if it prompted me to create the group or not, but the upshot is that the
> EA> group wasn't created and a year's worth of sent messages disappeared.
> EA> I've had a look at gnus-summary-move-article and it's about a mile
> EA> long—can someone tell me if something is wrong in there? I'm not about
> EA> to do any more experimentation…
>
> I doubt you actually lost the messages.  Let's do it the slow but sure
> way.  Go to the server buffer (`^' from the Group buffer).  Hit RET on
> each server, then RET on each group on that server.  You'll
> probably find an unsubscribed group where your messages dwell now.

That was the first thing I thought of, but I'd underestimated my own
stupidity: I just typed the wrong group name and sent them to a group
where I didn't expect to find them. Sorry for the noise. And for
doubting gnus!