On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 09:21:05 +0100 Michael Albinus wrote: MA> Ted Zlatanov writes: >> I have an important change to the auth-source API. I am attaching a >> patch against the Emacs trunk (including Tramp) to change calls of >> `auth-source-user-or-password' to calls of `auth-source-search'. MA> This a problem for Tramp. It's upstream version is supposed to support MA> also older Emacsen, which do not know the changed auth-source.el. I forgot (Gnus and Emacs itself don't have that problem :) MA> We would need a compatibility function (preferred in tramp-compat.el), MA> which uses the new API if available, and falls back to the old API otherwise. I attach a revised patch against Emacs that DTRT inside tramp.el itself (I think). Please check the logic because I don't know the Tramp internals so well. Also we could pass `tramp-current-user' with the :user search key to `auth-source-search', if it's known. I don't know if that's TRT for Tramp. MA> I also believe, that tramp-imap.el shall not use auth-source-* MA> directly. It might be better to use tramp-enter-password (or MA> tramp-read-passwd). Maybe we could clean it up. If you can offer a suggestion for the code, that's fine. I think, actually, that it may be a good idea to see how many people are using tramp-imap.el. I have no bugs or suggestions since I wrote it, except from you, so perhaps we should ask the community and remove it from Tramp. If no one needs a feature... Ted