* extra server for nnmairix?
@ 2010-10-31  8:08 Eric Abrahamsen
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2010-10-31  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Here's something I've never understood.

I use nnmairix, happily. In the manual it says that you can choose to
create a new backend server, or you can use an existing one. I think I'm
doing something wrong, because it behaves weirdly no matter which option
I choose.

If I use an existing server, the search group doesn't survive the next
gnus restart, and I have to do nnmairix-create-server-and-default-group
all over again each time. I've figured out how to change the
subscription level so it doesn't check my mail every time I
search—that's nice at any rate.

If I create an additional server (with a (nnml "mairix"
(nnml-get-new-mail nil)) entry in gnus-secondary-select-methods), I
actually see two new servers in my server list:

{nnmairix:search}
{nnml:mairix}

The first is empty, the second contains killed versions of all the
groups under my regular nnml server, plus the unkilled search group. Why
are all those killed groups there? Why does gnus-group-jump-to-group
show those killed groups? (I'm using the ido-completing-read interface,
which is otherwise brilliant, but makes this "duplication" of group
names particularly evident and annoying.)

I don't care which of the two methods I use, but I'd like either one
problem or the other to be solved. I suspect there's something wrong
with how I'm creating the server, but I just don't know what…

Thanks!

Eric