* BBDB and the message buffer
@ 2009-02-11 18:39 Jim Burton
From: Jim Burton @ 2009-02-11 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi, I suppose this must be an FAQ bit I can't solve it. How do I bind
M-t to bbdb-complete-name in the message buffer? I found this example
online and added to my .gnus:

(add-hook 'gnus-startup-hook 'bbdb-insinuate-gnus)
(setq mail-setup-hook 'bbdb-insinuate-sendmail)
(add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'bbdb-insinuate-message)
(defun bbdb-insinuate-message ()
  "Call this function to hook BBDB into the message package."
  (define-key message-mode-map "\M-\t" 'bbdb-complete-name))

;;;;;;;;;

But M-t is bound to aspell...help? (In case this makes any difference,
I'm starting a message with 'm').

I would also like point to be after the colon in the first line ("To:
<point>") -- how can I manage this?

Thanks,

Jim

* Re: BBDB and the message buffer
@ 2009-02-11 20:25 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2009-02-11 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, Feb 11 2009, Jim Burton wrote:

> Hi, I suppose this must be an FAQ bit I can't solve it. How do I bind
> M-t to bbdb-complete-name in the message buffer?

BBDB completion is already done via TAB, so why need a different
binding?

> I would also like point to be after the colon in the first line ("To:
> <point>") -- how can I manage this?

It is for me when I press `m'.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: BBDB and the message buffer
@ 2009-02-11 20:44   ` Jim Burton
From: Jim Burton @ 2009-02-11 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Reiner wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11 2009, Jim Burton wrote:
>
> > Hi, I suppose this must be an FAQ bit I can't solve it. How do I bind
> > M-t to bbdb-complete-name in the message buffer?
>
> BBDB completion is already done via TAB, so why need a different
> binding?

Hi Reiner, thanks for that...I thought you needed to set it up yourself.

> > I would also like point to be after the colon in the first line ("To:
> > <point>") -- how can I manage this?
>
> It is for me when I press `m'.

There was something fishy going on with message buffers, but it's
fixed. (The problem was this, that I pasted from somewhere:

;;save copies of sent mail
(setq gnus-message-archive-group
           '(concat "mail." (format-time-string "%Y-%m")))

which sounds nice but was giving this error whenever I opened a message
buffer:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument listp concat)
  gnus-inews-insert-archive-gcc()
  run-hooks(message-header-setup-hook)
  message-setup-1(((To . "") (Subject . "")) nil nil)
  message-setup(((To . "") (Subject . "")) nil nil nil nil)
  message-mail()
  gnus-group-mail(nil)
  call-interactively(gnus-group-mail nil nil)

@ 2009-02-11 21:30     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2009-02-11 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, Feb 11 2009, Jim Burton wrote:

> There was something fishy going on with message buffers, but it's
> fixed. (The problem was this, that I pasted from somewhere:

I strongly suggest not to copy from "somewhere".

> ;;save copies of sent mail
> (setq gnus-message-archive-group
>            '(concat "mail." (format-time-string "%Y-%m")))
>
> which sounds nice but was giving this error whenever I opened a message
> buffer:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument listp concat)

The Gnus manual has lots of examples for `gnus-message-archive-group',
see (info "(gnus)Archived Messages"):

,----[ (info "(gnus)Archived Messages") ]
|    How about storing all news messages in one file, but storing all mail
| messages in one file per month:
|
|      (setq gnus-message-archive-group
|            '((if (message-news-p)
|                  "misc-news"
|                (concat "mail." (format-time-string "%Y-%m")))))
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: BBDB and the message buffer
@ 2009-02-11 21:54       ` Jim Burton
From: Jim Burton @ 2009-02-11 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Wed, Feb 11 2009, Jim Burton wrote:
>
>> There was something fishy going on with message buffers, but it's
>> fixed. (The problem was this, that I pasted from somewhere:
>
> I strongly suggest not to copy from "somewhere".

:-) I sometimes give this advice myself, now I just need to follow it.

>> ;;save copies of sent mail
>> (setq gnus-message-archive-group
>>            '(concat "mail." (format-time-string "%Y-%m")))
>>
>> which sounds nice but was giving this error whenever I opened a message
>> buffer:
>>
>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument listp concat)
>
> The Gnus manual has lots of examples for `gnus-message-archive-group',
> see (info "(gnus)Archived Messages"):
>
> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Archived Messages") ]
> |    How about storing all news messages in one file, but storing all mail
> | messages in one file per month:
> |
> |      (setq gnus-message-archive-group
> |            '((if (message-news-p)
> |                  "misc-news"
> |                (concat "mail." (format-time-string "%Y-%m")))))
> `----

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Jim

--
--------------------------------
Jim Burton

* Re: BBDB and the message buffer
@ 2009-02-14 14:38       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2009-02-14 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I strongly suggest not to copy from "somewhere".

I've been doing that for 21 years.

How else would I ever get my emacs configured?

* Re: BBDB and the message buffer
@ 2009-02-14 22:15         ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2009-02-14 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

>> I strongly suggest not to copy from "somewhere".
>
> I've been doing that for 21 years.
>
> How else would I ever get my emacs configured?

hehe and ditto here... but I might add that many of mine were
performed on posts of yours (Reiner).   And thanks for all of that