* Re: Feature freeze postphoned to end-July
       [not found] <8763shtgz1.fsf@stupidchicken.com>
@ 2008-06-11 19:48 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-06-11 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: ding, emacs-devel

On Tue, Jun 10 2008, Chong Yidong wrote:

> We originally planned to begin the feature freeze at the end of June.
> For various reasons, however, three of the important features slated for
> Emacs 23 (ECB, window grouping, and Emacs.app) won't be ready by then.
>
> Therefore, we're postphoning the feature freeze to the end of July.
> We'll supply a more precise date soon.

I wonder what the feature freeze means for Gnus.  Is it a freeze only
for Emacs core functionality?  Is adding limited features (to Gnus)
still okay?  Could you please clarify?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Feature freeze postphoned to end-July
@ 2008-06-12 16:57   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2008-06-12 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: ding

> On Tue, Jun 10 2008, Chong Yidong wrote:
>
>> We originally planned to begin the feature freeze at the end of June.
>> For various reasons, however, three of the important features slated for
>> Emacs 23 (ECB, window grouping, and Emacs.app) won't be ready by then.
>>
>> Therefore, we're postphoning the feature freeze to the end of July.
>> We'll supply a more precise date soon.
>
> I wonder what the feature freeze means for Gnus.  Is it a freeze only
> for Emacs core functionality?  Is adding limited features (to Gnus)
> still okay?  Could you please clarify?

Gnus is a bit of a corner case.  Tentatively, I think we could follow a
similar procedure to what we did during the Emacs 22 release cycle,
i.e. have Emacs CVS track the Gnus stable branch.  As we get closer in
the cycle, we'll have a harder freeze.

Could you tell me what the status of Gnus development currently is, and
these limited features you plan to implement are?