From: reader@newsguy.com
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: .newsrc.eld should have one newline per group
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 19:00:24 -0600	[thread overview]

> On Thu, Dec 06 2007, James Cloos wrote:
>
>> In retrospect, I suppose one could add a call to the equivilent
>> elisp to (gnus-save-newsrc-file) between each call to
>> (gnus-gnus-to-quick-newsrc-format) and the ensuing call to
>> (save-buffer) to accomplish one-line per group.  Have fun with the
>> regexp!  And read the last paragraph of the docstring for
>> (replace-regexp) for the proper idiom to use.
>
> Here's what I use in `gnus-save-quick-newsrc-hook'.  The pretty-print
> variant has been discussed here, but IIRC it is quite slow.
>
> ;;;###autoload
> (defun rs-gnus-save-newsrc-with-whitespace-1 ()

[...]

> (defun rs-gnus-save-newsrc-pretty-print ()

[...]

> (add-hook 'gnus-save-quick-newsrc-hook 'rs-gnus-save-newsrc-with-whitespace-1)

Is there some kind of way to unwind other elisp records that are keep
with no new lines?  Something like the agent group list that one can
access with `J C' g (When you have agentized groups)

I keep quite a few groups in there but change them fairly often.  I'd
like some way to edit that list by hand since when using the agent
tools provided like `J a' you can't tell what is or is not group
easily.

Something that shows the groups one per line that can be edited and
resaved back to the agent record.