* GNUS bug: Summary line doesn't match article
@ 2007-09-21 15:43 Sascha Wilde
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Sascha Wilde @ 2007-09-21 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, ding

Hi *,

I'm experiencing a strange and most annoying problem with gnus:

in some Newsgroups (especially those with much unread messages, but
this might just be an coincidence) while reading a thread I get
articles displayed, which are totally unrelated and certainly don't
match the active line in the summary buffer.

For an example see this "screenshot":

   [  30: topmind                ] Re: Design Patterns and Functional
R +    [ 107: Kent M Pitman          ]
           [  40: Don Geddis             ]
  +            [  30: Kent M Pitman          ]
-111:----F1  Gnus: c.l.lisp [231816] {16467 more}   Top (2,13) (Summary
From:  Mariano Montone <marianomontone@gmail.com>
Subject: Message passing syntax
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 02:10:14 -0000

The currently marked "active" article is the `R' marked article by
Kent M Pitman, but as you can see gnus really displays an article by
Mariano Montone, where not even the subject matches.

I see this phenomenon in different groups and different threads.
Sometimes only a few messages scattered other an thread are
affected, sometimes whole threads victims of this problem.

It's 100% reproducible: Once I saw the problem with one message I can
even close Emacs completely, after re-entering the group the message
in question will still be replaced on display be the same unrelated
other message.

It seems only to affect net-news, never experienced this with mail
groups.

Originally I stumbled across the problem in Emacs CVS HEAD (gnus
5.11), but I just tried ngnus.tar.gz and gnus-5.10.8 and all behave
exactly the same.  Maybe the problem is in some way or the other
"cached", so that I see it even with gnus versions, not having the
bug?  Or might it be a bug in Emacs CVS HEAD, which is triggered by
gnus in this strange fashion?

Any hints and tips and especially workarounds are highly appreciated!

I very much depend on gnus as a mail and news reader and this problem
is highly annoying and kind of alarming at the same time...

cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde
... mein Opa [...]  würde an dieser Stelle zu Dir sagen: Junge, such Dir

* Re: GNUS bug: Summary line doesn't match article
@ 2007-09-21 15:44 ` Sascha Wilde
From: Sascha Wilde @ 2007-09-21 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sascha Wilde <wilde@sha-bang.de> wrote:
> I'm experiencing a strange and most annoying problem with gnus:

Dear readers on ding,

please CC me in any reply, as I'm not subscribed to ding@gnus.org

cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde : "There are 10 types of people in the world.
             : Those who understand binary and those who don't."

* Re: GNUS bug: Summary line doesn't match article
@ 2007-09-22 10:04 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2007-09-22 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: ding

Sascha Wilde <wilde@sha-bang.de> writes:

> in some Newsgroups (especially those with much unread messages, but
> this might just be an coincidence) while reading a thread I get
> articles displayed, which are totally unrelated and certainly don't
> match the active line in the summary buffer.

A shot in the dark: are those groups "virtual groups"?

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: GNUS bug: Summary line doesn't match article
@ 2007-09-22 18:32   ` Sascha Wilde
From: Sascha Wilde @ 2007-09-22 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: ding

bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) wrote:

> Sascha Wilde <wilde@sha-bang.de> writes:
>
>> in some Newsgroups (especially those with much unread messages, but
>> this might just be an coincidence) while reading a thread I get
>> articles displayed, which are totally unrelated and certainly don't
>> match the active line in the summary buffer.
>
> A shot in the dark: are those groups "virtual groups"?

No, ordinary net news groups.

sascha
--
Sascha Wilde
Well, *my* brain likes to think it's vastly more powerful than any

* Re: GNUS bug: Summary line doesn't match article
@ 2007-09-22 19:11     ` Nelson Ferreira
From: Nelson Ferreira @ 2007-09-22 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: ding

* Re: GNUS bug: Summary line doesn't match article
@ 2007-09-23  2:45 ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2007-09-23  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

It's been ages since I've seen this as I don't use nntp much anymore
but my recollection is that toggling the nntp-nov-is-evil for the
server in question might fix it, though there may be side effects.
Alternatively, if you use the agent, simply rebuilding the agent's
overview file for the group(s) in question might do the trick.

--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: GNUS bug: Summary line doesn't match article
@ 2007-09-24 12:47       ` Sascha Wilde
From: Sascha Wilde @ 2007-09-24 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: ding

Nelson Ferreira <njsf@sxemacs.org> wrote:
> "Sascha" == Sascha Wilde <wilde@sha-bang.de>  wrote:
>   Sascha> bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) wrote:
>   >> Sascha Wilde <wilde@sha-bang.de> writes:
>   >>> in some Newsgroups (especially those with much unread messages, but
>   >>> this might just be an coincidence) while reading a thread I get
>   >>> articles displayed, which are totally unrelated and certainly don't
>   >>> match the active line in the summary buffer.
[...]
> I experienced that on gnus.emacs.general on news.individual.net, but

So I'm not alone!  :-)
FWIW: in my case the problem occurs with news.individual.net, too.
So the phenomenon _might_ be related to the server.

> went away after I catch-up the group.

In my case, too.  But if I look at the old articles (using C-u M-g) I
can still see it -- or to put it in the way I feel: I still can't read
certain threads.

> I assumed it might have been some mismatch between the nntp server
> article ordering and gnus, but maybe it is a bug.

In any case the interesting question would be, what is the cached
information, which leads to this problem and is there an way to purge
it?

cheers
Sascha
--
Sascha Wilde

If you think technology can solve your problems you don't understand
technology and you don't understand your problems.  (Bruce Schneier)

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: GNUS bug: Summary line doesn't match article
@ 2007-09-24 15:03         ` Manoj Srivastava
From: Manoj Srivastava @ 2007-09-24 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sascha Wilde; +Cc: emacs-devel, ding

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 14:47:04 +0200, Sascha Wilde <wilde@sha-bang.de> said:

> Nelson Ferreira <njsf@sxemacs.org> wrote:
> [...]
>> I experienced that on gnus.emacs.general on news.individual.net, but

> So I'm not alone!  :-) FWIW: in my case the problem occurs with
> news.individual.net, too.  So the phenomenon _might_ be related to the
> server.

>> went away after I catch-up the group.

> In my case, too.  But if I look at the old articles (using C-u M-g) I
> can still see it -- or to put it in the way I feel: I still can't read
> certain threads.

        I had that happen to me in an nnml group; and yes, it went away
 after a while.  I  did not have time to debug what was going on, I just
 ignored the summary buffer information for the duration.

        manoj
--
Love means having to say you're sorry every five minutes.