* Designate viewing application for mime types
@ 2007-05-25 13:04 reader
From: reader @ 2007-05-25 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I've forgotten where to set what applications view which mime types.

As I recall its a file in /etc for system wide.   And I suppose some
lisp can do it to.

Can someone point me to both techniques documentation?

* Re: Designate viewing application for mime types
@ 2007-05-25 13:06 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-05-25 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

----- reader@newsguy.com (2007-05-25) wrote:-----

> I've forgotten where to set what applications view which mime types.
>
> As I recall its a file in /etc for system wide.   And I suppose some
> lisp can do it to.
>
> Can someone point me to both techniques documentation?

/etc/mailcap

* Re: Designate viewing application for mime types
@ 2007-05-25 13:14   ` reader
From: reader @ 2007-05-25 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> ----- reader@newsguy.com (2007-05-25) wrote:-----
>
>> I've forgotten where to set what applications view which mime types.
>>
>> As I recall its a file in /etc for system wide.   And I suppose some
>> lisp can do it to.
>>
>> Can someone point me to both techniques documentation?
>
> /etc/mailcap

Thanks for the speedy reply.  Investigating that file I suspect there are
other factors involved since *.pdf appears nowhere in it yet gnus trys
to display *.pdf with an old acro reader at a non-existent path when I
press RET on a *.pdf attachment.

Further there are no mention of any image formats yet gnus attempts to
display them with `display' (an ImagickMagic command) when pressing
RET on an *.jpg attachment.

* Re: Designate viewing application for mime types
@ 2007-05-25 13:17     ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-05-25 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

----- reader@newsguy.com (2007-05-25) wrote:-----

> Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> ----- reader@newsguy.com (2007-05-25) wrote:-----
>>
>>> I've forgotten where to set what applications view which mime types.
>>>
>>> As I recall its a file in /etc for system wide.   And I suppose some
>>> lisp can do it to.
>>>
>>> Can someone point me to both techniques documentation?
>>
>> /etc/mailcap
>>

> Thanks for the speedy reply.  Investigating that file I suspect there are
> other factors involved since *.pdf appears nowhere in it yet gnus trys
> to display *.pdf with an old acro reader at a non-existent path when I
> press RET on a *.pdf attachment.
>
> Further there are no mention of any image formats yet gnus attempts to
> display them with `display' (an ImagickMagic command) when pressing
> RET on an *.jpg attachment.

Do you have a ~/.mailcap?

* Re: Designate viewing application for mime types
@ 2007-05-25 13:49       ` reader
From: reader @ 2007-05-25 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

>> Thanks for the speedy reply.  Investigating that file I suspect there are
>> other factors involved since *.pdf appears nowhere in it yet gnus trys
>> to display *.pdf with an old acro reader at a non-existent path when I
>> press RET on a *.pdf attachment.
>>
>> Further there are no mention of any image formats yet gnus attempts to
>> display them with `display' (an ImagickMagic command) when pressing
>> RET on an *.jpg attachment.
>
> Do you have a ~/.mailcap?

no

* Re: Designate viewing application for mime types
@ 2007-05-26  0:45 ` Kevin Ryde
From: Kevin Ryde @ 2007-05-26  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

reader@newsguy.com writes:

> And I suppose some lisp can do it to.

mailcap-mime-data has various bits builtin.
mailcap-add (or maybe mailcap-add-mailcap-entry) might be the way to add
to it.

* Re: Designate viewing application for mime types
@ 2007-05-26 11:14   ` reader
From: reader @ 2007-05-26 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Kevin Ryde <user42@zip.com.au> writes:

> reader@newsguy.com writes:
>>
>> And I suppose some lisp can do it to.
>
> mailcap-mime-data has various bits builtin.
> mailcap-add (or maybe mailcap-add-mailcap-entry) might be the way to add
> to it.

Thanks... I'm not finding those cmds or vars with M-x mailcap-a<spc>

How does one access or modify them?  Does something special need to be
loaded? (Beyond mailcap.el)

I tried to add a special viewer in .../lisp/mailcap.el  around line
141 (at the asterisks below) after commenting out `gv -safer'.
Then renamed mailcap.elc mailcap.elcX and restarted gnus forcing it to
load source file mailcap.el with modification.

Its probably in the wrong place or isn't used in this way... but at any
rate it didn't change anything.    Pressing RET on an *.pdf just goes
immediately to save dialog where as it did try to use gv before the edit.

     ("pdf"
;;      (viewer . "gv -safer %s")
**      (viewer . "/usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/bin/acroread %s")
      (type . "application/pdf")
      (test . window-system)
      ("print" . ,(concat "pdf2ps %s - | " mailcap-print-command)))
     ("pdf"
      (viewer . "gpdf %s")
      (type . "application/pdf")
      ("print" . ,(concat "pdftops %s - | " mailcap-print-command))
      (test . (eq window-system 'x)))
     ("pdf"
      (viewer . "xpdf %s")
      (type . "application/pdf")
      ("print" . ,(concat "pdftops %s - | " mailcap-print-command))
      (test . (eq window-system 'x)))
     ("pdf"
      (viewer . ,(concat "pdftotext %s -"))
      (type   . "application/pdf")
      ("print" . ,(concat "pdftops %s - | " mailcap-print-command))
      ("copiousoutput"))

I seem to recall something easier inserted in gnus.el that will tell
gnus what to use and won't involve editing source files...

* Re: Designate viewing application for mime types
@ 2007-05-26 11:42     ` reader
From: reader @ 2007-05-26 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

reader@newsguy.com writes:

> I tried to add a special viewer in .../lisp/mailcap.el  around line
> 141 (at the asterisks below) after commenting out `gv -safer'.
> Then renamed mailcap.elc mailcap.elcX and restarted gnus forcing it to
> load source file mailcap.el with modification.
>
> Its probably in the wrong place or isn't used in this way... but at any
> rate it didn't change anything.    Pressing RET on an *.pdf just goes
> immediately to save dialog where as it did try to use gv before the edit.

Sorry I misspoke.  The edit actually was redone after the gnus restart
so I just M-x load-file 'd it.

I then thought perhaps that would not be enough and again restarted.

Then the custome viewer was invoked.

But still, editing source files to get a desired result is not a plan
since it would get erased on updates etc.

So to reiterate... I was unable to discover a way to use the suggested
commands: `mailcap-add (or maybe mailcap-add-mailcap-entry)'
but still would like to see some lines to add to gnus.el to
invoke custom viewers.  Or possibly some simple OS related way.

mailcap.el doesn't mention *.jpg except in a long list off exensions,
pressing a *.jpg invokes an ImageMagick cmd (display) from somewhere.
(not /etc/mailcap) and I don't know where it comes from.

I'm running gentoo linux with kde desktop.

* Re: Designate viewing application for mime types
@ 2007-05-26 12:27     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-05-26 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, May 26 2007, reader@newsguy.com wrote:

> Kevin Ryde <user42@zip.com.au> writes:
>
>> reader@newsguy.com writes:
>>> I've forgotten where to set what applications view which mime types.
>>> As I recall its a file in /etc for system wide.

See (info "(emacs-mime)mailcap").  It can be done per user with
`~/.mailcap'.

>>> And I suppose some lisp can do it to.

>> mailcap-mime-data has various bits builtin.
>> mailcap-add (or maybe mailcap-add-mailcap-entry) might be the way to add
>> to it.
>
> Thanks... I'm not finding those cmds or vars with M-x mailcap-a<spc>

These are non-interactive function (not commands).

(mailcap-add "application/pdf" "some-viewer %s")

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Designate viewing application for mime types
@ 2007-05-26 20:47       ` reader
From: reader @ 2007-05-26 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

[...]

> See (info "(emacs-mime)mailcap").  It can be done per user with
> `~/.mailcap'.

[...]

> These are non-interactive function (not commands).
>
> (mailcap-add "application/pdf" "some-viewer %s")

You've done your usual full bodied complete answer people have come to
expect of you.  Thanks for that Reiner