* Possible to auto-subscribe new mail groups even w/o nntp server?
@ 2005-11-10 22:09 Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2005-11-10 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

In an account where I only want to use Gnus for mail, if I do this:

  (setq mail-sources '((pop ...))
  (setq gnus-permanently-visible-groups "^\\(nnml\\|nnmaildir\\|nndraft\\)")
  (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "foo" ...)))
  (setq gnus-level-default-subscribed 2)

and then enter Gnus via gnus-no-server, Gnus will fetch new mail and
place it in nnml+foo:misc (via a trivial fancy split rule), but that
group won't be visible in the groups buffer, and if I look at the
server buffer via '^', the server nnml+foo isn't there.  Is that
expected?

If instead I run M-x gnus, and answer "no" to "go offline" and "yes"
to "continue", the nnml+foo server does show up in the server buffer
as (opened), but when the first mail arrives to nnml+foo:misc, the
group still doesn't appear in the groups buffer, and it doesn't show
up as either a zombie or killed group (via 'A z' or 'A k').

However, I can still manually ('u') subscribe to nnml+foo:misc, and if
I do that, then it looks like nnml+foo groups created after that will
automatically appear in the groups buffer (at least those created via
'B c'), but what was the status of the nnml+foo:misc group before I
did that?

Of course, I may well be doing something wrong, but in the end, I just
wanted to figure out a simple way to use Gnus for mail, without having
to have access to an nntp server, and with an arrangement where all
new mail groups are automatically subscribed and visible in the group
buffer.

(My Gnus version is "No Gnus v0.4" via the current Debian unstable
 package.)

Thanks
--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu

* Re: Possible to auto-subscribe new mail groups even w/o nntp server?
@ 2005-11-10 22:19 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2005-11-10 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:09:11 -0800, Rob wrote:

> In an account where I only want to use Gnus for mail, if I do this:

>   (setq mail-sources '((pop ...))
>   (setq gnus-permanently-visible-groups "^\\(nnml\\|nnmaildir\\|nndraft\\)")
>   (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "foo" ...)))
>   (setq gnus-level-default-subscribed 2)

I would also do:

 (setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil ""))

  Best regards,

--
 "Lawrence of Suburbia                                        Adam Sjøgren
  Real life is murder"                                   asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Possible to auto-subscribe new mail groups even w/o nntp server?
@ 2005-11-10 23:00   ` Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2005-11-10 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> I would also do:
>
>  (setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil ""))

Ahh.  I didn't see that documented, but it does help.  It at least
avoids the offline/continue questions when using M-x gnus.

However, when the first message comes in, the newly created mail group
doesn't appear until you quit and restart gnus.  Though that's not a
serious issue as long as new groups continue to appear after that.

Thanks
--

@ 2005-11-11 10:33     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2005-11-11 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 15:00:21 -0800, Rob wrote:

> However, when the first message comes in, the newly created mail group
> doesn't appear until you quit and restart gnus.  Though that's not a
> serious issue as long as new groups continue to appear after that.

Does pressing F in the *Group*-buffer help?

(F runs `gnus-group-find-new-groups')

  Best regards,