* Cache abuse and article editing
@ 2001-08-04 14:34 Nuutti Kotivuori
From: Nuutti Kotivuori @ 2001-08-04 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been recently mentioning many bugs in cache system. The reason
follows.

Have you ever stumbled on a news article with bad headers or buggy
characters or whatever - and you need to fix that article before you
can properly read it. Some stuff is available by just using the
washing functions or the mime functions, but some things just can't be
done by anything else than manual editing. But since nntp servers are
essentially read-only, how do you edit?

The obvious thing to want would ofcourse be that you can edit article
there, and you would store a local edited copy, which would be used
each time you access the article.

Hence I have been making a small patch to gnus to be able to edit
cached articles - and ask if you want to edit a cached copy instead if
you try to edit articles in a read-only backend.

What do you think?

-- Naked
PS. It's almost finished, I just want the other cache patches in
before releasing anything.

* Re: Cache abuse and article editing
@ 2001-08-04 15:00 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-08-04 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nuutti Kotivuori <nuutti.kotivuori@smarttrust.com> writes:

> Hence I have been making a small patch to gnus to be able to edit
> cached articles - and ask if you want to edit a cached copy instead if
> you try to edit articles in a read-only backend.
>
> What do you think?

Can this be extended to articles under agents control?.  I've often
thought how nice it would be if agentized articles could share the
many options that mail backend messages have.

* Re: Cache abuse and article editing
@ 2001-08-04 15:10   ` Nuutti Kotivuori
From: Nuutti Kotivuori @ 2001-08-04 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Harry Putnam wrote:
> Nuutti Kotivuori <nuutti.kotivuori@smarttrust.com> writes:
>
>> Hence I have been making a small patch to gnus to be able to edit
>> cached articles - and ask if you want to edit a cached copy instead
>> if you try to edit articles in a read-only backend.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> Can this be extended to articles under agents control?.  I've often
> thought how nice it would be if agentized articles could share the
> many options that mail backend messages have.

I'd say that it works for agent if Simon Josefsson unifies agent and
cache. Otherwise I think it's a bit hard to do, maybe.

-- Naked

* Re: Cache abuse and article editing
@ 2001-08-17 11:30 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-08-17 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nuutti Kotivuori <nuutti.kotivuori@smarttrust.com> writes:

> Hence I have been making a small patch to gnus to be able to edit
> cached articles - and ask if you want to edit a cached copy instead if
> you try to edit articles in a read-only backend.
>
> What do you think?

Sounds like a good idea to me.