* [BUG] 'gnus-configure-windows' makes cursor jump about :/
@ 2000-03-17 11:09 Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2000-03-17 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am running pGnus from CVS, built (and updated) at Fri Mar 17 10:45:44
EST 2000, under XEmacs 21.2.31.

The issue I have found is that the cursor in the group buffer can jump,
caused by code in 'gnus-configure-windows'.

The issue is that when 'gnus-configure-windows' calls
'delete-other-windows', and the next unread group is not visible at
present[1], things go wrong.

Under XEmacs, 'delete-other-windows' restores the starting line of the
current buffer to the value of 'window-start' when it is called.

Unfortunately, in the case I describe, the selected group is /not/
visible in the buffer when the position described by 'window-start' is
visible.

As a result, XEmacs politely makes the (now outdated) position visible,
unconditionally. This has the side effect of making (point) off-screen,
so that is politely dropped right into the middle of the buffer.

This is, obviously, irritating. I have worked around this by adding a
call of '(sit-for 0)' to the code, to force redisplay to occur and thus
'window-start' to be updated.

This isn't particularly clean, I think, so a better solution is probably
available.

I am happy to test any fixes - I can reproduce this 100% here.

        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  I have all groups, even those without unread mail, visible so this
     is not an uncommon situation for me.

--
Paperwork is the embalming fluid of bureaucracy,
maintaining an appearance of life where none exists.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2000-03-17 11:09 UTC | newest]