* ssh foreign server problem
@ 1999-03-16  1:59 Hal Snyder
From: Hal Snyder @ 1999-03-16  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm having trouble using gnus's nifty ssh foreign host feature. Is it
me, or is there a bug?

I'm running ssh 1.2.26, GNU Emacs 20.3.1, pgnus-0.80, FreeBSD-3.0.

Ssh-agent is running and I have ssh-add'ed my id.

I have a shell account with an ISP, say "isp.com". This is not my main ISP
but they have newsgroups not available on the main news server I use. The
news server will not respond to hosts outside of isp.com.

If I do
  ssh -L 8119:news.isp.com:119 shell.isp.com
then I am able to access the server by configuring a server as follows:

  (nntp "foozle"
      (nntp-address "localhost")
      (nntp-port-number 8119)
      (nntp-record-commands t))
But this is messy.

OTOH, suppose I create another server, per the docs, to use pgnus's built-in
ssh proxying:
  (nntp "barzle"
      (nntp-address "shell.isp.com")
      (nntp-rlogin-program "ssh")
      (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-rlogin)
      (nntp-end-of-line "\n")
      (nntp-rlogin-parameters
       ("telnet" "news.isp.com" "nntp")))
When I try to open this server, there's a little traffic out to the
Internet, then gnus just sits there forever saying "Opening nntp
server on barzle...".

Manual telnet from shell.isp.com to news.isp.com, port 119 gets a
positive response from the news server.

I tried setting nntp-record-commands to "t", but nothing goes into the
*nntp-log* buffer.

Any ideas on what's wrong or how to debug this situation?

* Re: ssh foreign server problem
@ 1999-03-16  9:20 ` James H. Cloos Jr.
From: James H. Cloos Jr. @ 1999-03-16  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

* Re: ssh foreign server problem
@ 1999-03-16 15:14   ` Hal Snyder
From: Hal Snyder @ 1999-03-16 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks! That did it. Never heard of netcat before, but have used
"socket" which seems similar. Anyway, putting nc out on "shell.isp.com"
and using it instead of telnet solved the problem.

Will send a patch for the docs tonight.

@ 1999-03-22  5:33     ` Hal Snyder
From: Hal Snyder @ 1999-03-22  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Following up my own post:

The docs were right and I was wrong - the fact that ssh proxying
worked with nc(1) was due to my using a different connection. The
problem had nothing to do with gnus - emacs was coming up in a shell
(spawned by Gnome) that didn't see ssh-add's done from outside. Now it
works with telnet, too.