* Expire thread?
@ 1998-04-20 12:48 John Griffith
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: John Griffith @ 1998-04-20 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: griffith

What about binding `T e' `T E' in summary mode to a new command
`gnus-summary-mark-thread-as-expirable' that would mark every unmarked
article in the thread after and including the current article as
expirable?  Perhaps with optional argument meaning also mark marked
articles.  Plus if executed on the root of the thread, it will not
cause thread to be opened (ie. shown).

Or is there already any easy way to do this?  Currently when I decide
I don't want to read anything in a thread I have to do `E' for every
article in it.

For extra credit: Automatically add a score file entry that ensures
that all future articles in the thread will be marked as expirable and
never displayed.

* Re: Expire thread?
@ 1998-04-20 13:00 ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1998-04-20 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Griffith <griffith@sfs.nphil.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> What about binding `T e' `T E' in summary mode to a new command
> `gnus-summary-mark-thread-as-expirable' that would mark every unmarked
> article in the thread after and including the current article as
> expirable?

Easy enough.  Just use the code for gnus-summary-kill-thread as a template.

Or use total-expire and just use that function.

--
Justin Sheehy

In a cloud bones of steel.

* Re: Expire thread?
@ 1998-04-20 20:58 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-04-20 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: griffith

John Griffith <griffith@sfs.nphil.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

  > What about binding `T e' `T E' in summary mode to a new command
  > `gnus-summary-mark-thread-as-expirable' that would mark every
  > unmarked article in the thread after and including the current
  > article as expirable?

In auto-expirable groups, C-k DTRT.

kai
--
You ate somebody? -- Just a leg. -- That's terrible! -- Not with mustard.
(Terry Pratchett: Interesting Times)

* Re: Expire thread?
@ 1998-04-25 13:08 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-04-25 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Griffith <griffith@sfs.nphil.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> What about binding `T e' `T E' in summary mode to a new command
> `gnus-summary-mark-thread-as-expirable' that would mark every unmarked
> article in the thread after and including the current article as
> expirable?  Perhaps with optional argument meaning also mark marked
> articles.  Plus if executed on the root of the thread, it will not
> cause thread to be opened (ie. shown).
>
> Or is there already any easy way to do this?  Currently when I decide
> I don't want to read anything in a thread I have to do `E' for every
> article in it.

`T #' process-marks all the articles in the thread, and you can then
use `M-& e' to mark them as expirable.  Bind that to a macro if you
wish.