From: Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: nnimap displays wrong article after server move
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 17:03:24 +0100	[thread overview]

> but it highlights that rsync promises more than it really delivers.  I
> would love to be able to use it to keep two sets of files in sync
> between two computers, including my nnml groups, but the --delete
> doesn't work reliably enough (or possibly more likely that I don't
> understand it well enough).

The reason for using --delete is the way maildir operates, with moving
articles from "new" to "tmp" and finally to "cur" and to track that you
will need to delete something once articles are read and viewed.

FWIW I see from my notes that on the last server switch, in March of
2017 I used a somewhat different rsync command:
 rsync --archive --fuzzy --delete-after rainey.bang.priv.no:Maildir .

Not sure if the --delete-after would have helped me this time...?
Probably not...?

(rsync sort of did what I had told it to do, which was to faitfully
restore the maildir to its February 6 state on the old server... so I
can't push the blame there either)

> I'm using syncthing at the moment but it's also somewhat temperamental.

> Unison is the best around but less portable and subject to breaking when
> upgraded on one system and not another.

Ok, thanks to the pointers.  I'll look into them if/when I need to move
servers again (hopefully never, but things change in the server farm
world...).

I'll put a mention of syncthing and unison in the transfer cheklist in
my org-mode notes (which will be copied in as the initial checklist if I
need to do this again).