* public-inbox archival of ding
@ 2021-01-11 21:51 dick
From: dick @ 2021-01-11 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Someone on /r/emacs made reference to https://inbox.vuxu.org/ding, which, I
was pleasantly surprised to see, archives correspondence on this newsgroup in
the same way lists.gnu.org does for emacs-devel.  Actually, inbox.vuxu.org
does it *much* better than lists.gnu.org as the threading actually makes
navigable sense.  Googling around for the software doing this yeoman's work
led me to a 2018 write-up of "public-inbox":

> Public-inbox, created and almost exclusively developed by Eric Wong, does
> not appear to have the creation of a Gmane-style mailing-list archive as its
> primary use case. Instead, it is a tool allowing people to follow (and
> participate in) mailing lists without the hassle of actually subscribing to
> them.

> The initial commit to the public-inbox repository was made in January 2014,
> just over four years ago. Since then, some 1,300 commits have built it up to
> 11,000 lines of code or so.

Thank you Eric Wong and Leah Neukirchen (owner of the vuxu.org domain), I guess?